Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

"Brighter" Reverse Light mod

Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
HIKR is on a distinguished road

HIKR's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so I want to resurrect this thread, b/c I ordered the cheaper version of the OP's bulbs:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4435

And they did NOT fit in the factory reverse-bulb socket; with or w/o the prongs still attached. They ARE the same bulbs, just w/o the blue tint, correct!?

OP...were they a direct drop-in; even with those prongs still attached??

I'm about to drop $13 for some Sylvania 886's and try that mod, but thought I'd post here before I waste any more time/money.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIKR View Post
OK, so I want to resurrect this thread, b/c I ordered the cheaper version of the OP's bulbs:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4435

And they did NOT fit in the factory reverse-bulb socket; with or w/o the prongs still attached. They ARE the same bulbs, just w/o the blue tint, correct!?

OP...were they a direct drop-in; even with those prongs still attached??

I'm about to drop $13 for some Sylvania 886's and try that mod, but thought I'd post here before I waste any more time/money.
They were a direct drop in for me.

Those seem to be the same EXACT style too.... hmmm....

maybe try closing up the contacts on the bulb plug to hold the prongs better
Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #23
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
I can't see didlee backing up since I tinted my front windows (unless I roll the window down)
I just ordered a pair of the bulbs OP posted
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #25
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

random bump
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #26
gldnstateballa is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
gldnstateballa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
I've been wanting to do this mod for a while now. A lot of people are doing this but the process they were using involved cutting the terminals of the bulb assembly. I tried that, and after 2 failed attempts...i quit...

I looked around and found these plug and play bulbs. They are about $7 each and they dont involve any cutting. They are definitely worth it IMO...
Here are some quick pictures:

12v 50w Bulbs

Here we are comparing the two bulbs.
(New bulb on the left, OEM bulb on the right):

and here are a few pics of them lit up: (camera flash turned off)

I will get more pics soon. I forgot to get pics of the OEM bulb lit up, but i will definitely add them later on.

Here's where i got the new bulbs from:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4393

hey so im not good with this whole light situation, do these lights you put in require any like cutting or serious work? Or are you just replacing the bulb?

and also whats a HID light? those dont just go into the same socket as stock bulbs do they?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #27
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed
Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnstateballa View Post
hey so im not good with this whole light situation, do these lights you put in require any like cutting or serious work? Or are you just replacing the bulb?

and also whats a HID light? those dont just go into the same socket as stock bulbs do they?
Literally Just replacing the bulbs..
Some people said that the bulb had a loose fit... Just close up the connectors a little bit and you're good to go..

HIDS are a completely different set-up which requires an external ballast.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #29
SoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalBlack08's Tacoma Gallery
any pics vs the stockers?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #30
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
How about we just wire up an additional set of fog lights on the rear bumper facing backyards? Then if you need some extra light backing down the trails, just flip a switch (Handy when being tailgated also!)
Old 09-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #31
pyrate is on a distinguished road
pyrate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
How about we just wire up an additional set of fog lights on the rear bumper facing backyards? Then if you need some extra light backing down the trails, just flip a switch (Handy when being tailgated also!)
I've done this in the past but they always have that look of a serious afterthought add-on. Anyone had good success ingegrating lights off the rear bumper? I like this idea better when trying to hook up a trailer too (as you don't want the truck in reverse when doing this).

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #32
oneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oneshot808's Tacoma Gallery
just ordered those bulbs hopefully they arrive in HI still intact
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #33
oneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

finally got it in today and did everybody get 3 pairs? or just me... I ordered 1 and i got a bag with 6 bulbs (3pairs)
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #34
Piko is on a distinguished road
Piko's Tacoma Gallery
12v/50w Backup bulbs

So 808oneshot how did those bulbs workout? Did they fit? How much brighter than the stock ones? How about the heat output?
I don't want to melt my lenses in the process. By the way, also from the 808 Awwwwrite!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piko View Post
So 808oneshot how did those bulbs workout? Did they fit? How much brighter than the stock ones? How about the heat output?
I don't want to melt my lenses in the process. By the way, also from the 808 Awwwwrite!
There is a difference but it ain't major tho. I had trouble with the new lens because they don't fit properly in the socket so you gotta play with the pins and they might break if you force it. Heat not so much yet haven't seen any burning or plastic bubbles around the housing. I keep checking each week
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #36
Piko is on a distinguished road
Piko's Tacoma Gallery
Mahalo
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #38
TampaDude is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
TampaDude's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to get some LED replacements for my reverse lights when I install the new LED tail lights. They are really bright and really white, and will make my tails all LED.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #39
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tacowheelin View Post
how cheap can you get those lights for?
go with ddmtuning.com to get your lights. i got 55w dual beam for 75 bucks. regular kits are only 35w. my light are bright as fuck.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #40

Just a quick update..

3-8-2011

STILL running these bulbs and they are still working perfectly fine..