Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help with retro on non OEM headlight

Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
Help with retro on non OEM headlight

Just installed HID on my ebay projectors (check my build)..they work great but the projectors are horrible so I'm going to attempt to replace them with these:

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...e81f2a3e83dcd6

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do you imagine baking the headlights at 350 (oven off) for about 9min might work for these as well? Is there anything I'm missing in this kit? I have a harness on the way and have ballasts from ddmtuning. thanks for any help!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
You can swap the projectors depending on the space available. What you should really do is get rid of those crappy ebay lights altogether and install the projectors in the oem headlight housing. I had a set of those tsx projectors in my truck for a bit. Here's what they looked like.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would but I like the look of my headlights, may look cheap and cheesy but I love em. How did the projectors treat you while you had them? Decent? Thanks for the pic!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

Do you think I'll have any problems using those D2S bulbs with my 55w ballasts from ddm?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
Just installed HID on my ebay projectors (check my build)..they work great but the projectors are horrible so I'm going to attempt to replace them with these:

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...e81f2a3e83dcd6

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do you imagine baking the headlights at 350 (oven off) for about 9min might work for these as well? Is there anything I'm missing in this kit? I have a harness on the way and have ballasts from ddmtuning. thanks for any help!
i read somewhere that you bake them at 200 degrees for around 15 minutes. 350 degrees and your running a good risk of melting some parts of the headlight.

edit::: Here....right from the howto

2. Baking the headlights.

Make sure you take off all the little plastic and rubber pieces on the back of the headlights along with three small hex screws and take out the main headlight. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees F. I know the oven part sounds sketchy, but as long as you do everything right it'll work out perfectly. Stick the headlights in one at a time for 8 minutes. When you pull them out let them cool for a very short time then start pulling the lens away from the plastic backing. The sticky stuff between the plastic and lens is really strong, and trust me it might get frustrating (it definitely did for me) but remember, take your time. A flat-head might be useful he to help pry the two apart.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

yea i've seen a few numbers, 200, 305 and 350 are also in that thread. Guess i start low and raise the temp if it doesn't work. thanks for the replies...i guess i'll have to pry them open to even see if this whole ordeal is worth it/possible