Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

hella 500 question

Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
taco2408 is on a distinguished road

Name: Marcos
taco2408's Tacoma Gallery
hella 500 question

Okay, I just got this kit and I'm trying to figure out what is meant by connecting the green wire to the high beams. How do you do this? I know this may be a dumb question but I definately haven't wired lights before. Any help is appreciated. Also, do I have to ground the two lights and if so what are some good spots to ground them. THanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
yes you must ground them, otherwise nothing will work. you don't have to wire them to the high-beams, i actually wired them to the running lights so i always have the ability to turn them on. you have to use the little plastic coupler, its a small plastic piece with a metal blade in the middle with slots for two wires (your hot wire and the green wire), you need to put both wires in the piece and clamp it down so the wires are ecentially connected.

as far as grounding the wires, you just want to find a good clean metal bolt with a washer to stick the wires under, if after wiring the whole thing your lights/switch don't turn on, you'll want to check the grounds first
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

thanks for the response..that info helps out
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

when you see hot wire you mean the wire from the running lights or high beam lights, right?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no problem, i just installed mine a couple weeks ago and the install is still very fresh in my head so if you have any other questions just let me know...also i highly suggest wiring them to your running lights like i posted above, otherwise the only time you'll be able to turn them on is when your high-beams are on..which is next to never (that way the running lights power the switch)
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco2408 View Post
when you see hot wire you mean the wire from the running lights or high beam lights, right?

yes, exactly. your hot wire is the wire that your truck has power running through. when you turn your running lights on, your running light wires are hot. when you connect your green hella wire to your running light positive wire (make sure you don't connect it to the running light's ground wire) the power is also sent to your switch. when power is sent to the switch, you have the ability to turn on/off your lights. when your running lights are off, your hellas will be off no matter what since the circuit has no power going into it at all
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #7

ok, but i'm still a little confused. how do you take the hot wire out of the running lights to put into the coupler and where does the coupler go..i hope this is not too dumb of a question..i know i can do this if I understood this part.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
ok, but i'm still a little confused. how do you take the hot wire out of the running lights to put into the coupler and where does the coupler go..i hope this is not too dumb of a question..i know i can do this if I understood this part.

the wire splice should look like this::

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/5...e/wire-tap.jpg

the long wire on the left is your "hot" wire. you just clamp it on anywhere on the wire on a free space then your green hella gets put in there as well
Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
I didn't connect mine to the headlights or running lights at all. I just connected the black ground wire to the frame (using a self tapping screw and a drill, l I tapped it into the sheet metal). The red wire goes to a switch in my cab and then to the positive terminal on my battery.
exactly what i have done for all of my lights...that way the truck doesn't even have to be on to use your lights...i do recoment using a switch that lights up when on though, so you don't forget them and kill you battery.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #11

or it'll look something like this :

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...dlights-09.jpg

the wire passing through is your hot wire and you're just tapping your hella wire into it at any point
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
exactly what i have done for all of my lights...that way the truck doesn't even have to be on to use your lights...i do recoment using a switch that lights up when on though, so you don't forget them and kill you battery.

last time i did that on my old truck i left all my lights on and ran the battery out...like a hundred times lol
Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
last time i did that on my old truck i left all my lights on and ran the battery out...like a hundred times lol
i did the same thing lol...so i swapped all of my switches out for illuminated ones, and haven't done it since
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #14

Okay, I was trying to do this today and I just have a few questions. What color is the hot wire from the driving lights. I saw a green wire and a white wire? Second, can I ground the lights to the bull bar itself? And lastly, where did you ground the wire from the switche itself? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Okay, I was trying to do this today and I just have a few questions. What color is the hot wire from the driving lights. I saw a green wire and a white wire? Second, can I ground the lights to the bull bar itself? And lastly, where did you ground the wire from the switche itself? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

not sure which wire is hot based on those colors, green maybe???

you could ground it to the b ull bar, but i like to ground mine in the engine bay where they are less exposed to the elements. as for the switch, you can run the ground for that back through the firewall and ground it in the engine bay as well, or just find bold under the dash near somewhere near the firewall.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:

green. ground to the bull bar? might work, might as well give it a shot. if things don't work check that first. where to ground the switch wire? brake pedal bolt is where i did mine there's also a bolt right behind the plastic next to all the fuses and such, i couldn't get to it and didn't want to tear apart the truck for a wimpy ground wire
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #17

thanks matt..i was going to ground it to the brake pedal bolt but I wanted to see what others had done.