Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DDM Tuning- Can I use a 55W ballast on my 35W Hi/Low HIDs?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Question DDM Tuning- Can I use a 55W ballast on my 35W Hi/Low HIDs?

So I bought a 35W 5000k H4 High/low not long ago for my truck. I now want the 35W 3000k H10 kit for my fog lights. I also wish I had ordered a 55W kit of my headlights.
Can I order a 55W H10 kit and use those ballasts for my headlights? And use the 35W ballasts for the new fog lights?

It's pretty obvious that DDM's customer service sucks. I tried calling them before I bought the H4's about a question I had and they never answered. I tried calling them a lot recently for this question. There online support is never online. And I even tried to e-mail them but I still have not gotten a response.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
some people say no, technically it will work and it is referred to as "overpushing" a 35w bulb, and supposeably there isn't much difference in doing that and going to a true 55w bulb. Again im not sure of the longevity of the bulb either if you overpush it.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

uood8's Tacoma Gallery
BTW...when you ordered your headlight hid's from them, did it come with the harness to hook it to the battery?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
just to clear things up, ALL OF DDM TUNING'S BULBS ARE RATED FOR 55W BALLASTS. So yes you can use the 55w ballast on your bulb. That info is somewhere on their website.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
BTW...when you ordered your headlight hid's from them, did it come with the harness to hook it to the battery?
I ordered the hi/low kit and it came with it's own harness. I had to also order the relay harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
just to clear things up, ALL OF DDM TUNING'S BULBS ARE RATED FOR 55W BALLASTS. So yes you can use the 55w ballast on your bulb. That info is somewhere on their website.
Thanks. I searched their site again and found that info. Their bulbs are rated at 60watts. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Well i'm not too sure about HID but for HQI bulbs which is very similar its ok to use a larger ballast on a smaller wattage bulb but it is not ok to use a lower rated ballast on a higher wattage bulb. So if it is the same you can user the new 55watt ballast on your 35watt bulb but you can not use the old 35watt ballast on the newer 55watt bulb. Also for HQI bulb, if you use a larger ballast the bulb will not overdrive to burn brighter it will still burn at the same wattage it did before.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
bulbs

HID bulbs have no wattage rating (even though i know it says on most bulbs), the ballast and igniter combo regulates that wattage, so the same bulbs can be used for a 1w ballast or a 100w ballast.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmac View Post
HID bulbs have no wattage rating (even though i know it says on most bulbs), the ballast and igniter combo regulates that wattage, so the same bulbs can be used for a 1w ballast or a 100w ballast.
Intresting....not that i don't believe you because it makes perfect sense...but where did you figure this out from?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
devil is on a distinguished road

EMS: dafdsfadfsaf
devil's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to devil Send a message via Skype™ to devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFootCaliKid View Post
So I bought a 35W 5000k H4 High/low not long ago for my truck. I now want the 35W 3000k H10 kit for my fog lights. I also wish I had ordered a 55W kit of my headlights.
Can I order a 55W H10 kit and use those ballasts for my headlights? And use the 35W ballasts for the new fog lights?

It's pretty obvious that DDM's customer service sucks. I tried calling them before I bought the H4's about a question I had and they never answered. I tried calling them a lot recently for this question. There online support is never online. And I even tried to e-mail them but I still have not gotten a response.
technically, 55w hid also can work, and the hid color is more brighter than 35w hid.... anyhow, cuz of its high wattage and more heat generated ...some melting issue happened once....no one can give a correct number about the longevity of 55w hid bulbs....

so you'd better stick with vvme 35w HIDs and stay away from ddm sucks customer service...not easy to get through with them... that is why one of my friends threw away his ddm hid after he got defective ballasts and no answer from them...their cheating lifetime warranty...