Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

4x4 Illuminated switch and cup holder light mods

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 Illuminated switch and cup holder light mods

special thanks to rcbs204 for the 4x4 switch light.

i mostly followed his directions:
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...MWZjNzY4&hl=en
but i will show where i did it differently.

i started by removing the 4x4 switch and the AC panel. i used my finger nails to pry the 4x4 switch out and a butter knife to pry the AC panel out.

put in rcbs204's lighted 4x4 switch board. the hardest part was pulling of the cover because i didnt want to break any of the tabs holding it together.

all back together

i was going to use the solder method, but i only had a soldering gun and the tip was way to big for the delicate area on the switch. so i decided that i would wire it directly to the AC lights. but i still wanted to be able to disconnect the switch so i picked up some quick disconnects.

i cut the wire from the circuit board and crimped on the disconnects.

then i crimped on the disconnects to the other end of the cut wire.

disconnects wired in a ready to install.

it took me a bit, but i was able to find a path through the dash to the AC control opening. this is the view from the 4x4 switch opening.

pulled the wire through the opening in the AC control area.

i disconnected the AC wire harness (which was a pain in the ass) and isolated the green wires.

for lack of better tools, i took the edge of a knife and scraped the wire until it cut through the insulation (there is not much room to work in there). i then used my fingers to separate and expose the wires.

i hooked up the wires and did a quick test (red->solid green, white->green stripe).

while i was in there messing with wiring, i also wanted to add some lights to the cup holder area. at night, its really dark and its impossible to see the cup holder (i am always fumbling to get my drink back in). so i added another wire to the AC lights to run it to the cup holder. i am embarrassed by my super, hack-tackular wiring job

all taped up

it took me a few minutes to find and thread a path through the dash to the cup holder. i also addded quick disconnects. BTW, the cup holder prys up easily by using your fingers on the front.

i pickd up 2 orange LED's from here:
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux
i also picked up a package of 3/8" grommets from home depot (8 for $3).

the stock 2010 cup holders. where the hell do you put LED's in this? pre-2010, there was a plastic divider in the holder and you could easily drill up from the buttom of the holder.

i decided to drill from the side of the holder and into the rubber cups. i wasnt too sure how bright the LED's would be being recessed into the rubber, but it was worth a try

i tried taking measurements as best i could, but i ended up eye balling some of it.

grommets in.

LED's in. they are VERY tight in the grommet. they are not coming out.

looks pretty clean

all wired up in the truck

tah-dah! it actually is perfect for me. looking directly at the LED's will blind you, so having them diffused is less of a distraction. also, from where they are poistioned, they light up the accessory ports and the switches where the A-Trac button is.

view of the completed 4x4 switch.

view of everything completed.

i am pleased with the out-come.

the 4x4 switch took about 30 minutes, but the LED's took about 2 hours because i had to figure everything out.

i also have to say that the features on the tacoma kick ass. it was so nice to drop the tailgate and work at the back of the truck. i was able to use my dremmel and drill using the outlet at the back of the truck.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
SWEET! Nice write up! Gonna tackle this next weekend hopefully!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
SEXY!!! I need to do both those mods
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
BigTacoMan is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: JEF
BigTacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
I have my LED's on order and waiting for thier arrival to start this mod. Looks badass
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
TRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
TRDguyKC's Tacoma Gallery
awesome. i just got my 4x4 switch in the mail today.... gonna go home and put it in.

nice write up btw. im going with your method.... i dont solder lol.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
bass11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
bass11's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, i'm considering doing this but i'm thinking of using one light instead of two. Just curious, how bright is it with the two you mounted in the backside of the holder? I'm looking for some light but definately don't want it to be too bright? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
I like this. I like the disconnect idea. Just in time as my switch board is in the mail.
Sent you a pm also.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
looks great!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
nice work boss
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for adding this to the thread, looks like everything lights up nicely.
Great Job.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass11 View Post
Looks good, i'm considering doing this but i'm thinking of using one light instead of two. Just curious, how bright is it with the two you mounted in the backside of the holder? I'm looking for some light but definately don't want it to be too bright? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks
if you were able to see the LEDs directly, the light would blind you at night. but with them being recessed behind the rubber cup holder, you just get the ambient glow. i am happy with how it turned out,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Just wondering if the LED's dim when you dim the dash lights since you tied into the AC for power supply. I don't know, can LED's even be dimmed?
ya.. hmm... i hadnt thought about that. actually, i havent even looked to see. i always keep the dash lights on at the max. the next time i drive at night, i will find out for sure
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Thanks for adding this to the thread, looks like everything lights up nicely.
Great Job.
sure thing
Old 10-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
ya.. hmm... i hadnt thought about that. actually, i havent even looked to see. i always keep the dash lights on at the max. the next time i drive at night, i will find out for sure

heh... the LED's do dim with the dash lights
Old 12-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
arrowthrower is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
arrowthrower's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered the leds for the cup holder. Are they still doing well for you?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Anyone know how to illuminate the foglight switch for on/off?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowthrower View Post
Just ordered the leds for the cup holder. Are they still doing well for you?
yup... still working great
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
arrowthrower is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
arrowthrower's Tacoma Gallery
Installed them last night. It was easy. Great write-up. It went like clock work. I will post some pics later. It makes the whole cab area!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowthrower View Post
Installed them last night. It was easy. Great write-up. It went like clock work. I will post some pics later. It makes the whole cab area!!!
great!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
wrecklessfool is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Maintenance Officer
Name: Jason
wrecklessfool's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work! I just finished installing the 4X4 light kit I picked up from RCBS. I used the solder method and it turned out great. I'll definitely be doing the lighted cupholders like you did. Thanks for the idea and the inspiration.