1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Fog Light ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by turbn8r, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Apr 16, 2008 at 5:03 AM
    turbn8r

turbn8r [OP] Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Sport
    Newbie here with an '08 Taco Access 4x4 Manual Tx. I have read on the TW Forum how to install fog light/driving lights, but my question is what choices do I have for my Tacoma? I visited my local Accessory Shop and what they suggested were the PIAA 1192 Driving Lights. The description is 1100X Platinum. The link is below for a picture of them. They appear a bit small but also powerful. I am told from Toyota Parts that no stock accessory light is available for my Taco, is this true? I am open to suggestions or opinions. The opening in the front fender looks large enough but towards the rear it does get small. Looking forward to reading what you people think.

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/R4PIA134.5A.html

Some pics of my beautiful Taco!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/5948/cat/500

Thanks...Howard

2. Apr 16, 2008 at 5:34 AM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
  3. Apr 16, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    If, I were you I would get the OEM fogs first, then go from there. I bought some aftermarket lights for the fog housings. No matter how much they fill the space they will never quite look right. Even more true when you have them on. At least with the OEM lights you have the ability to adjust the beam and the light is pretty stable.

I wouldn't buy directly from Toyota, they will charge an arm and a leg for just a pair of lights (not including the wiring). I bought mine new from a place that sold car and truck parts for about 150shipped. You can also find them on ebay every once in awhile. Just wire it yourself.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Apr 16, 2008 at 6:24 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Nice looking truck by the way!

X2 the oem will fit and look the best!

5. Apr 16, 2008 at 6:40 AM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    Hey turbn8r how you like the 2.7 manual in the access cab? She still got lots of get up and go with the extra weight and longer wheel base? I have the 2.7 reg cab manual 4x4 2005, bought it about 2 months ago and just love it, got a shitty pair of tires on right now 265/75/16 and I can hold a burnout forever on this truck.

6. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:14 AM
    flavalk

flavalk 2-Broke 2-Care

Member:
    Orlando, Florida via Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab 2WD - Short Bed - Automatic- Silver Mica
    Not much. Toyota bed mat, Toyota step bars, tinted windows, Toyota seat covers, Toyota all-weather mats, quart of Wild Turkey in the glove box, KelTec PT3AT in the center console, backseat full of old speeding tickets
    I have those on my motorcycle and they look and work great...but then, they are on a bike. I think for my Taco I would want a larger size. The OEM's do look best :)

7. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Get some OEM fogs.

If you find youself wanting more light, I would suggest looking at the Randy Ellis Light Bar and it allows you to keep your factory front Recovery Points. I wish I had bought it instead of my bullbar. Oh well.

8. Apr 16, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    turbn8r

turbn8r [OP] Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Sport
    Thanks for the responses. I happen to be at my Toyota dealer today picking up my new registration and spoke with the parts guy. He informed me there was no "fog light/driving light" kit available for my Taco. He was able to build up the parts separately though. Your right about it costing an arm and a leg. LOL... Over $200 per light etc. So not sure what I will do. I think those PIAA lights I described above are not suitable for that opening. I will keep looking on the Internet.

Concerning the power etc. that No Werries asked about...I think the 4 cyl. manual 5 speed is doing ok by me. I had a truck that was very powerful etc. and it really didn't do much for me. The rear end of that truck was always coming around on me also. So far my Taco has plenty of get up and go. If I wanted more I would take my race car to the track and play. Not needed with this truck. Besides, I find it a challenge to get the best possible mpg I can get. First tank was 25.9 mpg. Not too shabby at all.

Any comments etc. are appreciated...

9. Apr 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Look on Ebay for an OEM housing from somebody who ditched their stock bumper. I'm sure you can find one.

10. Apr 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Since you're new, I'll just say Welcome! And point you to the link in my sig.... :devil:

11. Apr 16, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    turbn8r

turbn8r [OP] Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Sport
    Thanks very much for your post and also all the great write-ups you have. I will check out eBay more for OEM lights. Some sellers claim they have OEM but not sure that they actually are. Just will have to investigate what's available. Again, thank you.

Products Discussed in

To Top