1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Led question please help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gronk, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    Gronk

Gronk [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TACOMA TRD SR5
    I have been pretty unsuccessful at installing LED lights for running and directional, etc. Installed resistors for all lights and having issue with kicking me out of overdrive when running lights are on and I click the directionals. Has anybody else had this problem? If so how do I correct. I would greatly appreciate a response. Thanks!!!!

2. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Gronk

Gronk [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TACOMA TRD SR5
    I would sure appreciate any assitance. I installed LED lights in front and rear directionals and rear running/brake light. I also wired resistors to get rid of hyperflashing. Everything works fine during daytime but when lights are on and I use directionals the truck drops out of overdrive and naturally shuts down the cruise control. Without lights on everything works fine. Please, please tell me what I am doing wrong here. Thanks!

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I'm not sure if i can help, but I kind of feel bad no one responded...

LEDs can do funny things to the electrical system because the stock blinker module requires a certain resistance to operate properly, which is provided by the bulbs themselves...this is evident by the hyper flash you mentioned. You can either add resistance into the circuit (as you've done) that makes the blinker module "see" the proper resistance, or you can purchase a new blinker module that is specifically designed for LED blinkers.

All i can do is provide some debugging ideas:

1. Are the resistors you installed something you hacked together from Radio Shack or did you buy a purpose built resistor from an LED manufacturer?

2. Are all fuses good?

3. Try reverting back to stock condition and start over...replace bulbs one at a time with LEDs. Start with the non-blinker bulbs (e.g. parking and tail lights). These should work without any added resistor because the blinker circuit doesn't drive them. The idea here is to isolate the culprit. Install one light, go for a test drive. If all is good, install another one, and continue this until you start having trouble.

You'll probably just need to systematically re-install the LEDs to trace down the problem. Either something isn't connected quite right, or the blinker system simply can't handle such a huge drop in the system's resistance. Maybe you'll need to buy an LED blinker module.

Good luck!

4. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    have any pics of your led brake lights? All the ones Ive seen are not bright at all during the day, being that they only shine one direction and dont light up the reflector in the tail light

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I have changed every light bulb into LED possible. For my turn signals, I did not use resistors, I used a replacement relay. Everything works fine for me...

6. Aug 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    Rebel Taco Man

Rebel Taco Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod
    where can you find these led relays at? or does anyone have any pics on how to install these resistors?

7. Aug 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    does your truck have day time running lights from the factory?

if you do not have dtrl's try the flasher module from v-leds or superbright leds

iirc the model number for the module is cf18-08 pop your factory flasher out and check the number of pins on it if its the 8 pin module your golden if its the 12 pin job the only flasher module i think "may" work is one from a cadillac escalade i know that one is a 12 pin but, i'm not sure about the pin layout.

i started a thread awhile back containing all of the info i could find on the subject. here it is check it out it may provide you with some answers. sorry i didn't see this thread earlier buddy i almost went with resistors myself but, found out about the led flasher.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/182744-2nd-gen-led-turn-signals-walk-through.html

Products Discussed in

To Top