Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Issues with DDM Hids

Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Tampa OG
streetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the rough
Name: Rich
streetdriven's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to streetdriven Send a message via Yahoo to streetdriven
Issues with DDM Hids

First off this was such an easy mod plug in and play the way I love it. But 1 out of 10 times when I turn my headlights on my driver side HID doesnt come on? The passenger side works everytime. I would assume it has to be an issue in the control mod. What do you guys think? I am calling them tomorrow to have this problem fixed. Has anyone else had this issue? I am running the DDM slim ballast kit 35w 6000k kit.

Thanks Rich
Old 03-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
did you get a wiring harness in the kit?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
i would say bad ballast... talk to ddm and i bet they'll send you a new one.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Tampa OG
streetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the rough
forgot to write that yes i did. I tried it both ways with the harness and without.. same thing happens
Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Tampa OG
thanks guys
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea i didn't get the harness with my first kit and it was doing that. if you have everything installed and it's doing that definitely looking like the ballast, they'll replace it for you
Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, if you bought the Raptor kit form them they are garbage. I had a pair in my G8 and they died in like three weeks. Went to the life time warranty ones in my truck and G8 have had zero problems for over a year.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Tampa OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
yea i didn't get the harness with my first kit and it was doing that. if you have everything installed and it's doing that definitely looking like the ballast, they'll replace it for you
i firgured that. But there is no possible way not to have it hooked up right. It is plug and play lol.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #9

my friends could hook it up wrong lol. i know you have it right, just force of habit that made me type it
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Tampa OG
hahaha thats funny
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
...Get a replacement bulb or ballast.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the slim ballast kit from DDM yesterday and the driver side flickered serveral times quickly for about three seconds on startup before it stabalized. I swapped the ballast with a spare and the problem is fixed. No relay installed on my setup. I received a set for the fogs as well but they didnt include a connector for the stock bulb wiring connection. It just has two wires that can be pushed ino the stock connection. Taping seems ghetto to me so I'll be returning them and looking for proper units with plug and play connectors like the Slimcubby kits.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
might be to obvious, but could it be a ground wire??? i have the ddm kit. installed them, and they worked great for 3 days...then the passenger side went out. turned out it was my own fault, nothing wrong with the kit...when i bolted down the passenger side ground, the bolt caught some of the shrink tubing, and made it hard to get a good connection...rebolted it making sure not to pinch the shirnk, and they've been great ever since
Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Tampa OG
I thought it might be the ground but thats not the case. You have to think the passenger side is working everytime and it is ran off the same ground. I hooked the ground wire from the harness and the slim ballast kit directly to the battery. Today it hasnt acted up at all but I would be pretty upset if I get stuck driving at night without a driver side headlight and get pulled over for that shit. You can hear the ballast module humming when it is working. When it doesnt kick it is slient.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i had to ground both sides indevidually...interesting. anyways, it does sound like it may be the ballast then. if it were your bulb, i think the ballast sould still hum, you just wouldn't get light
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
Tampa OG
your kit had 2 grounds? and it was the DDM kit? I know for a fact mine only has 1 ground. Now the harness that you buy on the side has another ground. Which is hooked up too
Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #17

i didn't have to buy the harness on the side...i have this kit...http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=102&parent=85

EDIT: oops, gues i don't have the ddm manufactured kit...mine's apexcone. sorry for the confusion, my b
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Tampa OG
LOL you had me thinking I was crazy for a min. Its cool thanks for the help either way
Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
check the bulb. if the center "node" (looks like a little bubble) is faded white or slightly discolored than the rest of the glass then bulb is bad.