1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Relay for seperate Highs and lows ???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bradfan04, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Bradfan04

Bradfan04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brantley
    Dublin, GA.
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Tacoma Double Cab
    Halo Projector HID Headllights (6000k), HID Fogs (6000K), Dome & Maps LEDs, Looking to do more...
    (Sorry but I posted this in the technical chat section of TC but I really didn't get an answer....IDK if the person that replied knew to much about HIDs)

I have a question about the wiring of a relay harness to my hid kit. I am fimiliar with connecting a relay harness to a single bulb hid kit, however I bought after-market headlight housings and I now have seperate high and low bulbs for both the drivers side and passengers side. I have 2 hid kits. One kit for the highs and another for the lows (4 ballasts all together). I know with a single bulb setup the relay connects into 1 of my factory wiring harnesses and goes to either the high or low beam HIDs (whichever you have the HID kit for) on both sides. But I have 2 ballasts on each side and all the HID relay harnesses I have seen only have 1 ballast connection per side of the vehicle. My question is how would I go about hooking up a relay for this setup?

I was thinking maybe buy 2 relay harnesses and run one to my high ballasts and the other to my low ballasts and then splice the 2 harnesses into the drivers side Factory Headlight Harness. Does any one know if this will work or am i just wasting money and time? Will this cause my highs and lows to get crossed up or anything since I am splicing the 2 into the factory harness?

Or if anyone knows a better solution (if there is one) I would greatly appreciate it.

I have searched all over TC and the rest of the net for the past 2 days and I have not found an answer, so I hope 1 of the many great minds here at TC will be able to help me. THANKS

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    use an additional relay for your highs, using the factory flash connector to activate that relay, and power that relay straight to your battery. However, when you flash, your low beams will turn off. Visit http://store.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=3918393619a00fab16b1750e1c5356bd to find a harness that keeps your low beams on while powering the high beams.

On a separate note, having an HID flash will be kind of ineffective because HID bulbs dont light up like halogen bulbs, they have to warm up, so when you flash to pass with an HID bulb, it wont really do anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top