Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Tinting tail lights?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Tinting tail lights?

..http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ake-light.html
Old 03-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
If I'm not mistaken, the 1st gen tails actually come apart, allowing you to tint the inside of the lens.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread from months ago showing how to smoke 1st gen tail lights. Try the search feature.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I would NOT paint the inside of the 1st gen tail lights. They are the older style, meaning it uses the lens to fuse and spread the light output. Also, the lens is tinted so you wouldn't really be able to see it. The 2nd gens have a clear lens over it so that you can see the paint/mod.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
looks like im stuck with ugly tail lights =P or spend lots of money on custom ones
Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I always love these:
http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/01-02...374279766.html
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some links to tinted tail light:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ail+light+tint

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ht=tinted+tail
Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the tails. My lenses came right off. Do a bit of wet sanding to clean it up. Apply light coats of VHT Nightshade. I recommend only doing maybe 1.5. It sets and gets darker over time, and you don't want to go too dark. Then add 2 clear coats or so and bingo. Make sure you don't go too dark. ColtsTRD and I did ours. Mine came out too dark, again it sets over time and gets darker. Tint the outside of the leses, not the inside.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
thanks cmack yours look sick
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
00tactrouble is on a distinguished road

00tactrouble's Tacoma Gallery
Hey CMACK, what year is your truck? I own a 2000 Taco that shares the same color as your truck. The tail lights look awesome, can not wait to get started on mine but would like to have the 411 on all the ends and outs.
I was looking into tinting my tail lights also, but was looking into a post the "xbusxdriver" posted on his 2nd gen truck with the clear lens...it rocks. I wonder if I can apply some of his tactics plus your to make my Taco look sharp?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post

How did you get those like that?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
My son is the IT manager at the Honda dealership here in town and there body shop did them. $60.00. One coat only, do not want a ticket.
Awsome! That's a good deal!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
Yota Doc
DocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to all

Name: Brian
DocBrown86's Tacoma Gallery
This stuff worked well for me, and a few SD CT members. Its RC window tint, from the hobby store.

Attached Thumbnails
Tinting tail lights?-img_0291.jpg   Tinting tail lights?-img_0279.jpg   Tinting tail lights?-img_0280.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Yota Doc
DocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to all

one more pic
Attached Thumbnails
Tinting tail lights?-img_0289.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #17

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
hmm way to bring back a dead thread. i tinted my tails a couple months ago...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Beast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to all

Name: Mark
Beast's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

i have film on mine and i had film on my first gen too.....60 bucks at a tint shop
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
Yota Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tactrouble View Post
Hey Doc, what steps did you take for the tinting?
I wasnt the one who did my tails. Chris (from CT, cant remember his SN), did them.

All he did was scuff the lens (outside) with a scotch brite pad, clean the lens, applied the RC tint (apply coats till satisfied with shade), then sprayed clear.

I believe he did 3 coats on mine.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #20
00tactrouble is on a distinguished road

00tactrouble's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Doc! I am searching for such item, I might just have to order online.
Beast: I was also looking into film but was not sure...or at least I had not heard anything on the life of the product.
Thanks for the info guys.