Emergency Lights

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Jreays is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter 2/EMT-B
Name: Jeremy
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
Emergency Lights

Hello all!
I just bought a 2009 Double. I am a firefighter and am getting ready to install emergency lights. I am trying to figure out how I would mount led lights in the grill. Any ideas? I was thinking I might just build a mount out of aluminum and screw it to the frame behind the front bumper. Do you think it is ok to screw in to that? Is is aluminum?

I am also trying to figure out where I can mount some strobe lights. I will have 4 strobes. I can put one in each reverse light. Not sure where I should put the others. It requires a 1" hole to install it in. I really wish I could put it in the brake light but I have the led tail light so I am not sure if that would work. Any ideas would be great!

I bought a couple switches from Oznium.com. I still need to cut down the hole a little bit so they will fit. How can I gain access to the top switches?

LED Light: http://www.lshlights.us/itemMatrix.a...=&MatrixType=1

Strobe tubes: http://www.lshlights.us/customkititems.asp?kc=HA238&eq=

Thank you in advance,
Jeremy
Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
In my truck I have 4 Whelen Vertex LED strobes and they are bright but don't have the "kick" that the Whelen strobes have. Also if you look at the Vertex LEDs off axis they are not that bright because LEDs are directional. I have one in each front corner and one in each rear turn signal lens. I didn't want to get the strobes at first because I didn't want to have to mount the main controller box but now I kinda wish I did.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't figured out where to put the power supply yet. I wanted to put it under the drivers seat but there isn't enough room. I might put it under the seat with the jack. I have to put the siren in there too.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
$DO WORK$
gouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
gouge44's Tacoma Gallery
damn i wish we could light up our trucks down here.... and sirens would be awesome too lol
Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge44 View Post
damn i wish we could light up our trucks down here.... and sirens would be awesome too lol
They dont let us out here neither. I'm kinda glad though cause I dont want to be using my truck as an emergency vehicle anyways!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
i install this stuff at work . make a mount behind the grill and drill it into the supports, as for the strobes you can mount them in the reverse light from the side facing the tailgate. Up front you can install in the fog (kinda tricky), actual headlight but will get dimmed out with headlights on, or in the center turn signal. if u need any help just let me know.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Whelen Talon RED/RED dual dash light if anyone is interested?

$70.00 shipping included anywhere in the USA

PM me if anyone is interested
Attached Thumbnails
Emergency Lights-014.jpg   Emergency Lights-016.jpg   Emergency Lights-020.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you put the strobes in the front corner? Doesnt seem like there would be enough room. The Whelens require a 1in hole and two little mounting screws. Any ideas? I really dont want to put them in the headlights.
I was thinking the fog lights... but not sure if it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaWRX View Post
In my truck I have 4 Whelen Vertex LED strobes and they are bright but don't have the "kick" that the Whelen strobes have. Also if you look at the Vertex LEDs off axis they are not that bright because LEDs are directional. I have one in each front corner and one in each rear turn signal lens. I didn't want to get the strobes at first because I didn't want to have to mount the main controller box but now I kinda wish I did.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
spikele is on a distinguished road
spikele's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreays View Post
Where did you put the strobes in the front corner? Doesnt seem like there would be enough room. The Whelens require a 1in hole and two little mounting screws. Any ideas? I really dont want to put them in the headlights.
I was thinking the fog lights... but not sure if it would work.
Can you post some pics/video of your finished result?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
Sure, I will see what I can do. It might be a few days though. I am pretty happy with my end result. I never put strobes in the front though. I really didn't want to drill the headlights and I couldn't figure out a better place.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
City F.F. can't do either to their private rigs. Volunteer F.F. if Chief or asst. Chief Only can have a Light Bar only. In a response they can not break any traffic laws. That is here in Montana
Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
We have it pretty nice in Ohio. POV must be approved and inspected yearly by the Chief We can use red, white, or yellow. Must be visible 180 degrees. Ohio law allows us to drive with Due Regard. Our Dept. SOGs state we can only go 10mph over the posted speed. SOGs require that we are a Engine Driver as well. The main thing I find it helpful is for a couple of stop lights in town that have a very long wait. They are also triggered by sirens. So.. if you are coming up on the signal with no lights or siren you might wait at that light for a good 5 min while everyone responds past. We are not allowed to respond to the scene in our POVs.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
jerry74 will become famous soon enoughjerry74 will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: DRIVER,DISPATCHER,PRESIDENT OF DEPT
Name: JERRY
jerry74's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a center console, you can mount siren box in there, power pack can be mounted on rear wall support....as far as stobes in corner to many of my friends have had trouble mounting....the best place i saw was right in the headlight bezel.

hope this helps...stay safe!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
jerry74 will become famous soon enoughjerry74 will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: DRIVER,DISPATCHER,PRESIDENT OF DEPT
Name: JERRY
jerry74's Tacoma Gallery
why not put a lightbar on?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
spikele's Tacoma Gallery
Im just curious as to how you mounted them behind the grill.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Jreays's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikele View Post
Im just curious as to how you mounted them behind the grill.
It wasn't fun, I made a little bracket out of aluminum and screwed it to the grill from the back side. I will try to get a couple of pictures. I am happy with how it turned out though.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
spikele's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It wasn't fun, I made a little bracket out of aluminum and screwed it to the grill from the back side. I will try to get a couple of pictures. I am happy with how it turned out though.
Cool, Thank you
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
toleary is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
toleary's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 Tacoma Access, and I put whelen vertex strobes into the fog lights, the reverse lights in the rear. I also put in 2 grill lights and just mounted them to the plastic grill pieces using machine screws and bolts, as well as I have a dash light. I have a siren as well which I mounted the box up under the dash, and made a switch by drilling out a blank switch bay next to the fog switches, and putting in 2 momentary switches (one for the manual siren, or for air horn). I also have a scanner in my center console that is wired into the ignition so it is not on when the car is off. Lastly I used factory fog light switches to give the interior a nice clean finish.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow if I have time.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for pics!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #20
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Hello all!
I just bought a 2009 Double. I am a firefighter and am getting ready to install emergency lights. I am trying to figure out how I would mount led lights in the grill. Any ideas? I was thinking I might just build a mount out of aluminum and screw it to the frame behind the front bumper. Do you think it is ok to screw in to that? Is is aluminum?

I am also trying to figure out where I can mount some strobe lights. I will have 4 strobes. I can put one in each reverse light. Not sure where I should put the others. It requires a 1" hole to install it in. I really wish I could put it in the brake light but I have the led tail light so I am not sure if that would work. Any ideas would be great!

I bought a couple switches from Oznium.com. I still need to cut down the hole a little bit so they will fit. How can I gain access to the top switches?

LED Light: http://www.lshlights.us/itemMatrix.a...=&MatrixType=1

Strobe tubes: http://www.lshlights.us/customkititems.asp?kc=HA238&eq=

Thank you in advance,
Jeremy
I have Whelen TR3's in my grill.