LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Texas laws and information concerning HID lights

Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
As an Officer i try to not draw attention to myself by making my truck look like a rolling disco. And with 15000K HIDs i guess someone would need 6 lights to see anything. Im all for stacking lights all over the front of a truck, just dont turn on any "off-road" lights while driving through town and your should be fine. the more attention you draw to yourself, the more you will get pulled over... its amazing the amount of stuff you can get away with by "blending in"... remember, the max is 4, including the headlights.... so headlights, fog lights, and driving lights at the same time = hello Officer.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
Ranger Nic is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Ranger Nic's Tacoma Gallery
I never have understood this, but I have been told for years that you can only have four forward facing lights in Texas.
After reading and re-reading http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm

It looks like your vehicle can be equipped with two or each: spot, head, and auxiliary or fog (none of which have to be covered under normal operation). You just can't have more than four on at any given time. I was also under the impression that this is why the fog lamps (if OEM) typically turn off as soon as you turn on the brights.

Anyone?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Nic View Post
I never have understood this, but I have been told for years that you can only have four forward facing lights in Texas.
After reading and re-reading http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm

It looks like your vehicle can be equipped with two or each: spot, head, and auxiliary or fog (none of which have to be covered under normal operation). You just can't have more than four on at any given time. I was also under the impression that this is why the fog lamps (if OEM) typically turn off as soon as you turn on the brights.

Anyone?
None have to be covered you can run 2 head lamps, 2 spots, 2 fogs, 2 passing lights, and 2 driving lamps. 4 lights can be on. That is 10 lights. None higher than 42 inches.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Im pretty sure it is illegal to have any red lights on your vehicle facing forward. 15000K? Do those actually have any light output
15000K...Needs 20 lights on to be able to see anything properly.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Guy on another forum I used to be on had 15k. They were pink lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyP View Post
I signed up for this forum just to ask a couple questions on this thread (I don't have a Tacoma).

I'm currently in Florida, but will likely be moving the Texas this summer and both my wife's Ford Escape (H13 Halogen bulbs) and my Scion tC (H11 Halogen bulbs in a projector housing) have HID PnP conversions. In both cases, the replacement Xenon bulbs maintain the same light pattern. I swapped out 1 bulb and checked side-by-side down the road, against a wall, standing down the road, etc. For the Escape with a regular halogen bulb housing, the cutoff line became more distinct, with less bleedover to oncoming traffic while still providing more light down the road.

My question is really, where do I find the list of approved bulbs? If I buy replacement halogen bulbs from PIAA or Sylvania or even Wal-Mart, how do I know they are really on the approved list? I read, kinda, the DOT law on lighting (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr571.108.pdf), but I couldn't gleen any useful information from it.

I'm aware a citation will stick based on the letter of the law rather than the intent of it, but I can't find where it says all aftermarket Xenon bulbs are "NOT approved" or even where it says only Halogen bulbs are approved.

Thanks!
They bulb, H11 is fully described in the federal guidelines. It has a filament and no ballast.
There are no legal Hanything HID bulbs because Hx is a halogen standard. HID bulbs have seperate designations and descriptions as well as ballast standards. Such bulbs are D2S, D2R, etc.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjake View Post
Any forward facing light that is not white or amber is politely asking the police officer to pull you over.

I do have a question regarding the HID lights, I stopped and asked a state trooper about my HID offroad lights and he said as long as I didn't have any more then four forward facing lights I was not in the wrong, even if they were HID. My question is why would offroad lights be legal but not driving lights, my 50w lf 240's are brighter then any driving light I have ever seen.
Because the bulbs in headlights are tightly regulated by federal standards "auxiliary passing lights" or "auxiliary driving lights" are loosely defined state standards. The output of a headlamp is only part of the federal standard. Ballasts are not allowed on H1 headlamps... filament position is regulated. So if you have a ballast and no filaments your headlamp does not meet federal guidelines.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
Markus9u
Markus9u is on a distinguished road

Name: Markus
Markus9u's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I had 15 K, you cant see CRAP! So i moved to 10 K. Still Cant see much at all!! Luckily I have PIAA fog lights(540, or 520) cant remember but they rock! the yellow is really good for vision. But as for HID's 8K's are really nice with the blue tint! I wouldn't recommend anything higher unless its just for show. I have 8K on my Yamaha R1 and it is way more vision than my truck! I plan on switching my 10K on truck to 8K once I get the time/money..
I was stopped by an officer only once for having 6 lights. I just use the excuse that they do not blind people nearly as much as the newer vehicles, and/or say I forgot to turn them off.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #29
Markus9u
Markus9u is on a distinguished road

Name: Markus
Markus9u's Tacoma Gallery
This wont help..
Attached Thumbnails
Texas laws and information concerning HID lights-get-attachment.jpg