1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Texas laws and information concerning HID lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DevL, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Dec 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
    rdm197aps

rdm197aps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4x4
    ARB bulbar WARN M8000, OME/Dakar, enough recovery gear to yank a GEO Tracker outta ditch!
    As an Officer i try to not draw attention to myself by making my truck look like a rolling disco. And with 15000K HIDs i guess someone would need 6 lights to see anything. Im all for stacking lights all over the front of a truck, just dont turn on any "off-road" lights while driving through town and your should be fine. the more attention you draw to yourself, the more you will get pulled over... its amazing the amount of stuff you can get away with by "blending in"... remember, the max is 4, including the headlights.... so headlights, fog lights, and driving lights at the same time = hello Officer.

2. Apr 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    Ranger Nic

Ranger Nic New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Jeep LJ Rubicon
    I never have understood this, but I have been told for years that you can only have four forward facing lights in Texas.
    After reading and re-reading http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm

It looks like your vehicle can be equipped with two or each: spot, head, and auxiliary or fog (none of which have to be covered under normal operation). You just can't have more than four on at any given time. I was also under the impression that this is why the fog lamps (if OEM) typically turn off as soon as you turn on the brights.

Anyone?

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    None have to be covered you can run 2 head lamps, 2 spots, 2 fogs, 2 passing lights, and 2 driving lamps. 4 lights can be on. That is 10 lights. None higher than 42 inches.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    15000K...Needs 20 lights on to be able to see anything properly.

5. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Guy on another forum I used to be on had 15k. They were pink lol.

6. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    DevL

Member:
    They bulb, H11 is fully described in the federal guidelines. It has a filament and no ballast.
    There are no legal Hanything HID bulbs because Hx is a halogen standard. HID bulbs have seperate designations and descriptions as well as ballast standards. Such bulbs are D2S, D2R, etc.

7. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    DevL

Member:
    Because the bulbs in headlights are tightly regulated by federal standards "auxiliary passing lights" or "auxiliary driving lights" are loosely defined state standards. The output of a headlamp is only part of the federal standard. Ballasts are not allowed on H1 headlamps... filament position is regulated. So if you have a ballast and no filaments your headlamp does not meet federal guidelines.

8. Apr 3, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Markus9u

Markus9u Markus9u

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Texas Edition
    Borla Exaust system, Doug Thorley headers, Injen powerflow cold air intake, URD performance chip, Train horn w/ 150 psi, Bushwackers, RBP Grill, Westin Bull Bar, Piaa lights, HID Projectors 8K, Pioneer Avic-X 930bt, Remote start?Alarm.
    Yeah I had 15 K, you cant see CRAP! So i moved to 10 K. Still Cant see much at all!! Luckily I have PIAA fog lights(540, or 520) cant remember but they rock! the yellow is really good for vision. But as for HID's 8K's are really nice with the blue tint! I wouldn't recommend anything higher unless its just for show. I have 8K on my Yamaha R1 and it is way more vision than my truck! I plan on switching my 10K on truck to 8K once I get the time/money..
    I was stopped by an officer only once for having 6 lights. I just use the excuse that they do not blind people nearly as much as the newer vehicles, and/or say I forgot to turn them off.

9. Apr 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Markus9u

Markus9u Markus9u

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Texas Edition
    Borla Exaust system, Doug Thorley headers, Injen powerflow cold air intake, URD performance chip, Train horn w/ 150 psi, Bushwackers, RBP Grill, Westin Bull Bar, Piaa lights, HID Projectors 8K, Pioneer Avic-X 930bt, Remote start?Alarm.
    This wont help..

get-attachment.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top