Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Trouble wiring Hella 500s

Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Chet-head
aggieshooter will become famous soon enoughaggieshooter will become famous soon enough
aggieshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble wiring Hella 500s

My buddy and I were installing my Hella 500s this evening and although it seems like we've got everything right, the lights don't come on. The only problem I might could see is not having a good ground on the lights themselves, but after some tinkering with the wiring to the switch, the light on the switch doesn't light up (I bought the Toyota illuminated fog switch). It did come on at first. I have no idea where else we could be going wrong. Anybody got anything?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Tell us how things are wired up and I'm sure we can offer some suggestions.

Basics of how it should be wired:

Loop 1: Battery (+) -> fuse -> Relay (30,87) -> Lights -> Ground
Loop 2: Battery (+) (or something else to determine when the lights can turn on: acc fuse, HL fuse, etc) -> fuse -> switch -> relay (85, 86) -> Ground

If the switch is lighted, it will also have its own ground for the led.

If you have it wired up as above, do some tests.

1. Bypass the relay to test lights. Connect wire from the battery (to 30 on the relay) to the wire going to the lights (87 on the relay). The lights should turn on. If they dont, probably a ground problem at the lights. Double check fuse and broken wires as well.

2. Double check the relay is working. Connect your lights and battery back up to 30/87. Connect 86 to the ground. Run a test wire from 85 to the battery. The relay should click and the lights will turn on. If this doesn't, double check the ground. Relay may be dead.

3. Check the switch. Plug everything into the relay as mentioned above. Make sure you have 12v incoming into the switch. You can also test by bypassing the switch and see if the lights turn on. If only the led doesn't work, make sure the ground is correct.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Registered Chet-head
aggieshooter will become famous soon enoughaggieshooter will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
Tell us how things are wired up and I'm sure we can offer some suggestions.

Basics of how it should be wired:

Loop 1: Battery (+) -> fuse -> Relay (30,87) -> Lights -> Ground
Loop 2: Battery (+) (or something else to determine when the lights can turn on: acc fuse, HL fuse, etc) -> fuse -> switch -> relay (85, 86) -> Ground

If the switch is lighted, it will also have its own ground for the led.

If you have it wired up as above, do some tests.

1. Bypass the relay to test lights. Connect wire from the battery (to 30 on the relay) to the wire going to the lights (87 on the relay). The lights should turn on. If they dont, probably a ground problem at the lights. Double check fuse and broken wires as well.

2. Double check the relay is working. Connect your lights and battery back up to 30/87. Connect 86 to the ground. Run a test wire from 85 to the battery. The relay should click and the lights will turn on. If this doesn't, double check the ground. Relay may be dead.

3. Check the switch. Plug everything into the relay as mentioned above. Make sure you have 12v incoming into the switch. You can also test by bypassing the switch and see if the lights turn on. If only the led doesn't work, make sure the ground is correct.
great post dude, thanks. Fixin to take another look at it as we speak. What about if I wanna be able to turn on the Hellas anytime and not hook them up to the high beams, etc. ?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
jeez i was thinking about picking up some hellas but the more i look into it, the harder it looks to install.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
its probably a ground... or your taps are not penetrating, thats what I had trouble with.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Registered Chet-head
OK, got the lights working. Only thing now is that the switch doesn't light up. It did yesterday at one point and it's still grounded in the same spot inside the cab...would it be better to run a wire into the engine compartment and ground it inside there somewhere?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar problem with my Hellas & it was the ground inside the cab. I finally grounded the switch to a bolt behind the left kick panel & all is fine. I have the OE switches for my Hellas.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieshooter View Post
OK, got the lights working. Only thing now is that the switch doesn't light up. It did yesterday at one point and it's still grounded in the same spot inside the cab...would it be better to run a wire into the engine compartment and ground it inside there somewhere?
I grounded mine inside the engine compartment