Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HOW TO: Tinting tail lights, The right way (PICS)

Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #221
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniManAbear View Post
I'm in the process of doing mine and I've done 5 coats of clear coat (looks great!) but how long until I sand it and finish them up? lol
If you can, you should do a couple more coats. And is let them dry for a whole day just to make sure that the clear has cured completely. The warmer the weather, the better
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #222
MiniManAbear is on a distinguished road

MiniManAbear's Tacoma Gallery
After I sanded mine and used the rubbing compound and plastx, it still didn't shine like yours did. I don't know what to do because it doesn't look too good.. lol
Old 11-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #223
dbps10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
dbps10's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone done this on their fornt lights? I have seen it and it looks awesome. I just wonder how well your headlights shine through it.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #224
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
After I sanded mine and used the rubbing compound and plastx, it still didn't shine like yours did. I don't know what to do because it doesn't look too good.. lol
did you polish by hand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbps10 View Post
Has anyone done this on their fornt lights? I have seen it and it looks awesome. I just wonder how well your headlights shine through it.
Please dont do it
Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #225

Yeah, I polished by hand.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #226
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Yeah, I polished by hand.
That may be why it doesnt shine. If you do it by hand then have to press hard and rub for a long time.

If you have a power drill I recommend using that with a polishing wheel attachment
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #227

Yeah. I also don't think I sanded well enough because I still have an orange peel-looking-light. lol. I'm getting a polishing wheel for my drill today and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #228
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
That may be why it doesnt shine. If you do it by hand then have to press hard and rub for a long time.

If you have a power drill I recommend using that with a polishing wheel attachment
Yeah I did it by hand as well and it took some time to get it right. I could have gotten it shinier if I had a polishing wheel though.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #229
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Yeah. I also don't think I sanded well enough because I still have an orange peel-looking-light. lol. I'm getting a polishing wheel for my drill today and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Yea make sure to sand the lights well. Remember more strokes and less pressure when sanding at this stage. Same with polishing because it actually cuts when its done so make sure you have plenty of clear to protect your tint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah I did it by hand as well and it took some time to get it right. I could have gotten it shinier if I had a polishing wheel though.
Yea by hand is a pain. Had the buffing wheel from my headlight restore kit so I just used that.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #230

Good news, got a polishing wheel! So tomorrow after work I'm giving it shot #2!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #231
tool still is on a distinguished road
tool still's Tacoma Gallery
hey the mod is sick i did it off this post thnx but i live in the mountains and often backing up a trailer and cant see at night with the back up light tinted was wondering if anyone knows of a brighter bulb ? help
Old 12-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #232
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Good news, got a polishing wheel! So tomorrow after work I'm giving it shot #2!
so how did it turn out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool still View Post
hey the mod is sick i did it off this post thnx but i live in the mountains and often backing up a trailer and cant see at night with the back up light tinted was wondering if anyone knows of a brighter bulb ? help
You can spray a bit less tint over the reverse light section or you can put a brighter bulb if there is one.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #233
tool still is on a distinguished road
tool still's Tacoma Gallery
it turned out sick i found some led lights on the internet for a good price and free shipping.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #234
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool still View Post
it turned out sick i found some led lights on the internet for a good price and free shipping.
Leds for the reverse lights? or all of them?

Pics man!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #235

Still doesn't look exactly like yours, but it looks A LOT better than before!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #236
Victory is reserved...

Pics
Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #237

Ehh.. I don't have any at the time, but I'll try to get some up tomorrow after work!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #238
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
did anyone do this inside out with a first gen? this guy sprayed on the inside... want to know how its holding up... no response from him lol.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...il-lights.html
Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #239
Upon my signal, unleash Hell
Skootter14 is a name known to allSkootter14 is a name known to allSkootter14 is a name known to allSkootter14 is a name known to allSkootter14 is a name known to allSkootter14 is a name known to all

Army: Aviation
Name: Jeremy
Skootter14's Tacoma Gallery
Tail light tint

just so everyone else can learn from my mistake, DO NOT try to spray the VHT tint in cold weather (i tried in 50*F). as it dries, it will begin to crack all around. i sanded the lights down with 800, 1000, and 2000 before hand. luckily i tried on some old tail light before my 2011 lights, so i dodged a bullet there. def try to keep it at 70*F or more.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #240
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
I'm confused on how to take off the gray piece, I have all of the bulbs out of their sockets, but I don't want to break anything