Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HOW TO: Tinting tail lights, The right way (PICS)

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #462
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
tinted mine with the rustoleum one...it came out too dark.
is it possible to remove it so i could respray them? it ain't fresh..its been like 2 weeks
Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #463
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671taco View Post
tinted mine with the rustoleum one...it came out too dark.
is it possible to remove it so i could respray them? it ain't fresh..its been like 2 weeks
Best thing is sanding and paint thinner... You have to be careful though because too much of either and you can crack your lenses.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #464
FATPUBUS has a spectacular aura aboutFATPUBUS has a spectacular aura about

Marines: 92-96 29 Palms, Ca. India 3/11
FATPUBUS's Tacoma Gallery
Heres how mine turned out

Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #465
FATPUBUS has a spectacular aura aboutFATPUBUS has a spectacular aura about

Marines: 92-96 29 Palms, Ca. India 3/11
FATPUBUS's Tacoma Gallery
Did my 4Runner with the red vht stuff too!

Before wetsanding and polishing
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #466
Cornell34 is on a distinguished road

Name: Evan
Cornell34's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I'll deff be trying this as my first mod my new Taco. I had nightshade covers on my Silverado and while I got a nice dark look, they just looked bulky. Will take a little time ,but will get a better look and be cheaper than buying covers.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #468
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
nice work. How many coats of the nightshade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPUBUS View Post
Did my 4Runner with the red vht stuff too!

Before wetsanding and polishing
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #470
808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold808bige is a splendid one to behold
Name: Eric
808bige's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
For taping off the brake light i got an old school drafting compass (the tool you used in highschool to measure angles and draw circles) and put the point of it in the middle of the brake light (theres a little dimple). Then put the end with the pencil to where i wanted to tape off.. tightened down the compass so it didnt move. Then got some 2in masking tape and put it on a plastic cutting board.. used the compass to draw my circle. cut out the circle. put it on the tail light where you want then marked the straight line with a roller and used a razor blade to cut the straight side of it lightly (just enough to cut the tape).

to tape off the back up light i used 2 inch tape to tape off most of it close as i could to the edge then used some flexible 1/4 inch fine line tape to do the edges.

you can see them taped up in one of my photo's above.
That's so sick!!! props on the tint job, looks professional. Also, a great way to avoid all this debate about how dark is too dark, laws, tickets, visibility and such. and IMO it looks AWESOME! Thanks for pics and technique, I think I'll be doing this method to my Taco soon. Mahalo!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #471
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
y'all be sure to keep yer insurance current

soon as I need get rid of my pos dd...

I'm gonna find one of you guys
and run up yer backside...

'splain to the LEO that I couldn't see any brake lights

bet I won't even need hire a lawyer
Old 06-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #472
whitelightning is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
whitelightning's Tacoma Gallery
Bit darker than I wanted but thats ok...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #473
FlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Joe
FlashCulprit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
There really isn't a limit. Once there is any kind of tiny on the lights it becomes illegal in some places. It's really up the the officer to pull you or not. I've never had a problem. Around here some people drive with the completely blacked out along with tinted headlights
Utahn here... It's apparently a big deal legal wise in the mid west. I've been pulled over twice. First time, cop issued ticket. Second time, cop was a Tacoma owner and wanted to know how to do a satoshi and let me off Moral of the story. Check your local laws, and keep modding your truck.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #474
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Just to add to this thread, I painted my tails with night shades red.

Love the look, no more rice look .

They turned out alittle darker then I planned but I still like the turnout.

some more info here

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...check-out.html
Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #475
LowerBost has a spectacular aura aboutLowerBost has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
LowerBost's Tacoma Gallery
Love the look! Want them so bad lol But them jags would hammer me with tickets if I put those on my truck where I live.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #476
HiFinest Shiggz is on a distinguished road
Name: Ikaika
HiFinest Shiggz's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #477
FlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of light

From my latest off-road venture.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #478
Wildcat is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service - National Guard
Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Is the tail light difficult to take apart? I was wondering if anyone had tried to plasti dip or paint the chrome ring around the brake light on the '12/'13 Tacomas? I am thinking of tinting my tail lights just a light smoke, but think the chrome ring will still stand out. Maybe this is a dumb idea and not all that noticeable.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Is the tail light difficult to take apart? I was wondering if anyone had tried to plasti dip or paint the chrome ring around the brake light on the '12/'13 Tacomas? I am thinking of tinting my tail lights just a light smoke, but think the chrome ring will still stand out. Maybe this is a dumb idea and not all that noticeable.
I've seen someone black out the inside of the housing. But they didn't tint it afterwords... there's really no point. Blacking out the housing would allow the LEDs to be seen at their full potential rather than be slightly dimmed by night shade. Here's a picture from RedCBS' build.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #480
Wildcat is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service - National Guard
Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
That's kind of cool, I'll have to check into that more. Thanks!