Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HOW TO: Tinting tail lights, The right way (PICS)

Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #481
Proeliator72 is on a distinguished road

Proeliator72's Tacoma Gallery
Sub for future reference.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #482
HiFinest Shiggz is on a distinguished road
Name: Ikaika
HiFinest Shiggz's Tacoma Gallery
Think imma try this on my IPCW aftermarket tails...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #483
Grumpy514 is on a distinguished road
Name: Emil
Grumpy514's Tacoma Gallery
How many people tried to do the buffing compound/wax with a applicator pad & elbow grease rather than a electric buffer?

I bought all the stuff but have no electric buffer, just applicator pads.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #484
FlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Joe
FlashCulprit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
How many people tried to do the buffing compound/wax with a applicator pad & elbow grease rather than a electric buffer?

I did by hand. Only because I was too anxious and my drill died. It can be done. Mine look pretty shinetastic.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #485
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post

I recommend buying a cheap 30$ harbor freight buffer . I have one and it works great , just keep it in the minimum speed if you inexperienced like me . Just get some descents pads from amazon or autotopia
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #486
FATPUBUS has a spectacular aura aboutFATPUBUS has a spectacular aura about
FATPUBUS's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are still holding up well. I think i added 4 coats clear, so still nice n shiney.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #487
tacomasport06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
tacomasport06's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good as heck! I think I'm gonna do this rather than buying a whole new tail light
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #488
HiFinest Shiggz is on a distinguished road
Name: Ikaika
HiFinest Shiggz's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished tinting my tails and third brake light! I actually tinted my IPCW aftermarket tails just to go with a different look! Followed the steps on this thread and they came out sick!!! Only thing I did different is apply the rubbing compound, plastic x and wax all by hand. Took a bit of sweat to do but they came out great!
Attached Thumbnails
HOW TO: Tinting tail lights, The right way (PICS)-image.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #489
Beat em
mattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattygaff's Tacoma Gallery
Sweeeeeeet.

Any reason this couldn't be done to the head lights?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #490
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a buffer either, but doing mine by hand wasn't getting the results I wanted.

After wet sanding up to 1200 grit, I used an electric drill with a Mothers Power Ball and Turtle Wax liquid polishing compound (non-abrasive) to get the mirror finish I was looking for. It worked like a charm.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #491
Tacoskull is on a distinguished road
Name: Dery
Tacoskull's Tacoma Gallery
Does any one know what product to use
To remove the vht paint from the tail light
To redo them?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #492
Mama didn't raise no fool
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Travis
slaphappy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR510TACO View Post

To redo them?

Acetone+elbow grease
Old 02-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #493
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR510TACO View Post
To redo them?
I used a 5" random orbital sander with 400 grit paper. Yes, I really did. Since you are sanding off tint, it's easy to tell when you are thru the tint and need to stop sanding, plus, the sanding gets the surface ready for the new tint.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #494
Mama didn't raise no fool
slaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant futureslaphappy has a brilliant future

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Travis
slaphappy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
I used a 5" random orbital sander with 400 grit paper. Yes, I really did. Since you are sanding off tint, it's easy to tell when you are thru the tint and need to stop sanding, plus, the sanding gets the surface ready for the new tint.

I'm not brave enough to try that
Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #495
KevinsTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
KevinsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. About to do mine right now!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #496
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygaff View Post
Sweeeeeeet.

Any reason this couldn't be done to the head lights?
No reason it couldn't be done BUT more reason that it shouldn't be done.

You'll lose light output and possibly get yourself a ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsTaco View Post
Looks great. About to do mine right now!

Great to see folks still doing this simple mod!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #497
swalters is on a distinguished road

Name: Samantha
swalters's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my 3rd brake as a test run! Highest grit I used was 600 because that's all I could find and I wanted to get it done. For the tails I'll use 2000 like the op says. I like how it came out. This is two coats.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #498
Lindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lindsey
Lindsey Walrod's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Subd
Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #499
Lindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedLindsey Walrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lindsey
Lindsey Walrod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Walrod View Post
Subd
Ummm... Did NOT mean the angry face!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #500
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Little bit of a thread revival here, but how did you get here lights so shiny? I'm using a mothers Powerball and rubbing compound and plastx to buff and polish but I could not get them to shine like yours did even after over an hour of polishing. Going to sand them down this weekend and redo it to get the high-gloss finish because the VHT did not come out how I wanted.