Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HOW TO: Tinting tail lights, The right way (PICS)

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #41
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
alright well... anyone know where to ger the night-shades in CA??
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #42
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
hey on the night shades can, does it say what temp to do it in?
Im bored, on spring break and its raining. and i need a project.

So...is it alright to use the night shades when its around 55 degrees?
Make sure the surface temp on the lens is above 70 degrees, dont spray it cold
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #43
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
alright well... anyone know where to ger the night-shades in CA??
Idk where you are at but try some high end car/truck shops. Or pep boys might have it.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #44
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
alright thanks again.

I went to autozone, and all they had was a rustoleum tint, and it says dont spray more than three coats or else light may not be able to show through....so thats no good.

Ill have to hunt down some nite-shades.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #46
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Looks good, but will fade.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #48
PRBulldog36 is just really nicePRBulldog36 is just really nicePRBulldog36 is just really nicePRBulldog36 is just really nicePRBulldog36 is just really nice

Air Force: Canine Handler/Trainer Narc/Exp
Name: Juan
PRBulldog36's Tacoma Gallery
Time frame ?

AWESOME !!!! How long did this take you from start to finish ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
So I used the search feature but never could find a how to thread for this, so I went ahead and made one. Hopefully it isnt a repost.

And please be gentle as this is my first write-up

This is easier to do in a well lit area....like outside lol.

Tools and equipment needed:

-- Ratchet with 10mm socket
-- Powder free latex gloves (optional)
-- 800 grit sandpaper
-- 1000 grit sandpaper (optional)
-- 2000 grit sandpaper
-- Microfiber towel (optional as paper towels worked well also)
-- De greaser liquid (I just used gasoline)

****I would like to add that if you dont have a buffing wheel, you could just purchase a headlight restore kit from 3M that is sold at autozone or any other parts store and used the buffing wheel that is included.****
-- Now you can do your tail lights and restore luster to your headlights

-- VHT NiteShades

-- Clear coat

--Rubbing compound of your choice along with Meguiars PlastX

-- Any polishing product of your choice.

Along with a tool to apply the polish and rubbing compounds, otherwise it will have to be done by hand....time consuming.

So we start off with the tail light, untouched in all its stock glory

So to remove the rear light you will use the 10mm socket
--There are only 2 bolts per side.
--They are the highest and lowest ones, leave the other in between alone as they do not hold the light. (sorry no pic)

Once those are removed it time to pull the light out. There are 2 prongs that hold them in and they will take some force to get them to let go.

Then disconnect the light bulbs with some simple twists

Next use your product to clean the light off. (I used gasoline)

Take the 800 grit paper and start to sand the light while using water. (I recommend to let the papers soak in water while removing the lights, this makes them a bit more flexy and easier to work with)

--Between different grits, wipe down the light and dry it to see that you have got the whole light.

Once you are done with the 800, start to use the 1000, then drop to the 2000 grit paper
--The 2000 will make it look like it has a flat smooth satin look.

Once done with the sanding all together, wipe the light down with your cleaning product( Again, I used regular 'ol gasoline). Then let them sit to dry. Using the microfibers will help speed it up.

-- Once they are dry try not to touch the lens surface with your fingers as this will put grease on them, powder free latex gloves come in handy.

So the lights are dry now, good. They should both look like they have the same consistency in texture.

--Now you are ready to apply the VHT NiteShade, remember that it will cure a bit darker than what it looks like freshly sprayed.

**Allow 20-30 min between tint coats**

Hold the can about 7 inches away from the light for better coverage. On the can it says like 12 inches but this will only give you a speckled look and will make you use more coats for good coverage....and more coats means darker lights (which can be a problem with local law enforcement)

Here is the difference after one coat

***For best and most even results, stand the sanded lights up next to each other and spray across both to get the same coverage on both.***

Sun's position made them look a bit different from each other but they where even

Here is one after 3 coats and a test to see how it would look

Once you are satisfied with the level of tint let the light dry to the touch, then cure in sun light for about 45-60 min.

When the tint is dry, apply the clear coat of your choice. (I used Krylon with gloss finish)

**It says it dries in 10 min but give it 15min between coats.**
I recommend at least 5 coats of clear for better protection. Be happy to apply more if you wish.

Try to avoid letting the clear run at all cost.

Here it is with 5 coats of clear. Ignore the water spots lol.

Once COMPLETELY dried, repeat the sanding steps in the same order, but this time use more strokes with LESS FORCE. Remejber to have patience at this level.

This sanding step will get rid of that 'orange peel' effect/texture.

And here is the clear coat sanded.

Now, the lights are sanded, you are ready to use the rubbing compound.
--I mounted the light to do this because I had no other way to hold them steady, besides its only rubbing compound and polish so your truck wont get hurt.

Apply good amounts of rubbing compound to your application tool or the rag that you will be using. If using a power drill this stuff WILL get flung all over the place so be ready for a bit of a mess.

((***Remember to rub it clean in between applications of the compound, the PlastX, and the final wax***))

Here is one done half ways to show you the difference after rubbing compound.

After you are done applying the compound, move on to using the Meguiars PlastX to take out the finer scratches.

Then finally move on to the waxing product of your choice to seal the deal.

Here is the finished product

NIGHT SHOTS

---Running lights

---No brakes w/ e-lights/ turn signal lights

---BRAKES

The looks I have gotten from other taco owners is fun, I have even bee asked to do a pair

Hope this helps you guys out, and have fun! But most of all PATIENT!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
that is the best set I have seen yet. Great work man!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #50
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBulldog36 View Post
AWESOME !!!! How long did this take you from start to finish ?
Hmm cant recall exactly but I say about 5 hours maybe, I took my time though
Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #51
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keason1* View Post
that is the best set i have seen yet. Great work man!
thanks!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #52
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Have you done this before ? Over what period of time ? Will the Az Sun and Heat be too much ?
Yes. Mixing clear and black into a paint gun is much faster and no prepping, sanding or polishing.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #53
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Here is the finished product
Is it just me or does it say toyota tacoma still in the bottom left of the tailgate even though its debadged? i wonder if the wax made it stand out?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot53 View Post
Is it just me or does it say toyota tacoma still in the bottom left of the tailgate even though its debadged? i wonder if the wax made it stand out?
It looks like it wasn't cleansed thoroughly. It could use some rubbing compound.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I don't have a paint gun so I have to go the long route.
Time is money. And you can have a body/paint shop do it for $50.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #56
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot53 View Post

Lol well it did, its gone now. I had to rub it reeeeaally good.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #58
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you know how dark is TOO dark here in CA?
Did you just do 3 coats?
and...
Have you had any problems with the popo's?
Tinting taillights is illegal in California. Whether or not the LEOs enforce it in your are is another thing. It's like tinted windows. Some cops enforce it and some don't.

Some cops have stated they can write a non-correctable ticket for it (so it's not just a $10 fix-it ticket). They use this section in the legal code.

26101. No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935, or to lamps installed on authorized emergency vehicles.

There are others they can use as well (e.g. Tail lights must be red. Tail lights too dim).
Old 04-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #59
surferkai is on a distinguished road
Name: Kai
surferkai's Tacoma Gallery
could you do this to your headlights too? anybody try it?