Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HOW TO: Tinting tail lights, The right way (PICS)

Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #61
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferkai View Post
could you do this to your headlights too? anybody try it?
Yes, you could. And yes, it is kind of dumb.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #62
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferkai View Post
could you do this to your headlights too? anybody try it?
Yea, dont try it man.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #63
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
great write up! one question tho, i have always been taught to not wax a new paint job (clear coat included) for at least 30 days after it was applied

EDIT:
I tinted this member's tails last week by adding his factory OEM magnetic gray paint to 10 parts clear coat. This was after 8 coats. I've heard its really easy to over tint ur tails with the spray can stuff:

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #64
ImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud of
ImthePrez's Tacoma Gallery
I used to exact same spray to do my Audi's taillights last year
Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #65
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
great write up! one question tho, i have always been taught to not wax a new paint job (clear coat included) for at least 30 days after it was applied

EDIT:
I tinted this member's tails last week by adding his factory OEM magnetic gray paint to 10 parts clear coat. This was after 8 coats. I've heard its really easy to over tint ur tails with the spray can stuff
I figure a professional gun and actual mixed paint would vary in adhesion and drying process compared to paint out of an aerosol can, hence the wait period before waxing on new paint jobs. I gave it an hour or 2 to dry before i sanded and added the compounds, and yes it is easy to over spray

Good job on the lights too, wonder how they would look darker?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #66
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
I figure a professional gun and actual mixed paint would vary in adhesion and drying process compared to paint out of an aerosol can, hence the wait period before waxing on new paint jobs. I gave it an hour or 2 to dry before i sanded and added the compounds, and yes it is easy to over spray

Good job on the lights too, wonder how they would look darker?
probably, but I would just go back to the shop where you bought your clearcoat and look at the back of the can....just out of curiosity, I bet on that exact can it would say not to wax within 30 days of application. If it doesnt, I stand correct and will provide you with +1 rep.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #67
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobang View Post
I still think spraying them isnt the best idea, after a while it will fade or maybe you will get a ticket for tinting your taillights, then what are you gonna do? Buy a new pair? or sand the tint down and have a dull looking taillight? Not the best idea at all.

I think the best way is to buy vinyl tint off ebay for around $25 which includes shipping. It will never fade, looks just as good and if you do get a ticket you can just peel it off and your taillights will look good as new. Thats my opinion. Only downside is that applying them on the taillight isnt the easiest thing, takes time and you have to follow the instructions it comes with, although I did it on my very first try. Heres some pics of mine with the vinyl tint, it comes pre-cut for our 2nd gen tacomas
You are not thinking thoroughly. The vinyl, looks like ASS. It is grey, not black. It is a pain to apply. Vinyl WILL start to wrinkle around the round edges of the tail light. If you spray your tail lights, don't just get rid of them, sell them and make more money, and get stock ones. Yes, paint fades over time... if you do not wax it. I wish I could have my tail light right next to yours to show you the difference. We know what the vinyl looks like, but thanks for sharing.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #68

Quote:
Thats your opinion. I've had them on for over 2 years now and no signs of wear and tear. Just cuz you sprayed yours you dont have to defend yourself when i say that i dont think its a good idea. I didnt say it looked bad. All i said is that its probably not the best idea to spray them. geez you need to relax and get some new wheels while you're at it. I think they looks like ASS
It is my opinion, and I am entitled to it. So are yours. You say 2 years, I have seen 5 years. I know you never said spraying it looked bad, but I do know that vinyl has an orange peel texture. <--- in my (I am sure tons of others) opinion, looks like garbage. I never said YOUR tail lights look bad, so let's keep the personal attacks out. Rims are rims and they look different depending on taste. Tinting your tail lights with vinyl and spraying them BOTH get you to the same result.. tinted tail lights. So why go cheap, through the hassle of install, and quality? And NO, it looks nothing close to spray. Food for thought.

I have all ready stated my points in why spraying them is a better option. But, once again for the people that think they know more than me:

Spray Pros:
  • Sell your tail lights and buy stock ones if cops hassle you. Maybe you live in the wrong area to have them.
  • You can wax them!
  • They let more visible light through
  • Much more uniform look with the body

Spray Cons:
  • Pricey if you do not have the tools. But it can be done for as little as $50 at shops

Vinyl Pros:
  • Inexpensive
  • Can peel off to remove

Vinyl Cons:
  • Hard to apply
  • Orange peel texture
  • Lets less visible light through
  • Looks grey
  • Wrinkles
  • That little punk can pick at your tail lights and make them start peeling

/pwnage
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #69

Take a closer look at your vinyl. I didn't contradict myself. You failed to comprehend. I said the same result, as in tinting your lights in general. But, nowhere near the same quality. Have you had them side by side to compare? Because I am basing my FACTS from proof. I never said what you chose to do is dumb nor looks bad. The material itself for this application, looks like ASS.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #70
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Don't start throwin the age thing around... Viet is one of the more knowledgeable guys on here. Everything here is opinion, so if you don't like it, stay off the thread I figure?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #71
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea you did contradict yourself and yes I've had them side by side before. I had a 2000 Integra GSR before I had my truck and I sprayed my taillights correctly and I regretted it after 2 years.

I guess you just have your own style and i have my own style.

Personally I dont think your wheels match your car. Especially when its white and you have your black accents, why not black wheels? just looks off to me and I would think a lot of other people would agree. But if you like it, I guess thats all that matters. Your only 21, what do you know, I've been in this car industry since i was 16 and im 29.

Your opinion about vinyl tint doesn't belong in this thread. If you feel so strongly about, start your own thread.... PLEASE.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #73

Sorry to the OP and others for going off topic.

How did you spray them correctly? Because I have been doing this for 3 yrs on 20+ vehicles. As well as my last car, a 335i. I used to live in Naples, and everyone and their moms have luxury cars. I've done anything from E55s to Tundras. This is the much preferred method. I am just educating people WHY spraying is better. As stated above, this thread was about spraying it. I did not do what the OP did. I used a paint gun and car paint. Style is style and I agree about the rims. But method is not a style.

I'm not sure how long you have been on here (on my phone, can't see join date), but I have been nominated for TOTM and get compliments ALL the time. Especially my tail lights, audio, front end, and the rims. There are more members on here with the Enkei WT4s than any other rims (besides factory rims).

I'm 21, and darn proud of it. I have accomplished much more than I have planned. Age doesn't matter. I would never challenge someone else's knowledge, especially someone I do not know.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #74
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
So I used the search feature but never could find a how to thread for this, so I went ahead and made one. Hopefully it isnt a repost.
Nice job Gus! Now I've got something else I need to do if I ever find any free time. lol! Rep given.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #75
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why don't u mind your own business. I'm the one that said it was my opinion from the beginning. He's the one that took it to a personal level. So just stay out of it.
because this is an open forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. he didnt take it to a personal level, he stated that he doesnt like vinyl tints, which you took personally so you attacked his choice of rims
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #76
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
From the Pics it looks like i rather do the Night shade, although a paint gun and car paint sounds more professional, i personally dont like the dull look.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #77
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...^^^ I'm right there with ya. Niteshade is a deeper "Tint" if you ask me. I just bout the stuff today. Planning to do this weekend!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #78
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome and not too dark like some are! I want mine to look just like yours, gonna have to try this out.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #79
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
probably, but I would just go back to the shop where you bought your clearcoat and look at the back of the can....just out of curiosity, I bet on that exact can it would say not to wax within 30 days of application. If it doesnt, I stand correct and will provide you with +1 rep.
Lol I'll look for the can then. Hope the Gf didnt throw it away.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #80
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
Nice job Gus! Now I've got something else I need to do if I ever find any free time. lol! Rep given.
Thanks Murph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Yeah...^^^ I'm right there with ya. Niteshade is a deeper "Tint" if you ask me. I just bout the stuff today. Planning to do this weekend!
Just be patient with it bud, have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Looks awesome and not too dark like some are! I want mine to look just like yours, gonna have to try this out.
Thanks man1