Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #41
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
for future reference anyone wanting to just cut it and never use it again.

You can follow the wire to a black plug harness that is easier to get to, cut it there you dont have to move anything unless your a big person.

I cut it (left enough room to strip the wire and possibly use it with a switch for future) and then taped it off and it works like a charm.

Just wanted to say thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #42
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
for future reference anyone wanting to just cut it and never use it again.

You can follow the wire to a black plug harness that is easier to get to, cut it there you dont have to move anything unless your a big person.

I cut it (left enough room to strip the wire and possibly use it with a switch for future) and then taped it off and it works like a charm.

Just wanted to say thanks!
You're welcome! p.s. I like that Glock in your sig!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #43
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
You're welcome! p.s. I like that Glock in your sig!

LOL thanks, G19 G26
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #44
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
i just seen this and have a question for guys who want to be able to have all the lights off in park ... every vehicle ive ever driven so far with daytime running lights, THEY TURN OFF if the PARKING BRAKE IS ON .... so it seems like a lot of work if thats the reason.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #45
mine didnt turn off with the parking brake
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #46
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
thanks for the clarification, seems like toyota dropped the ball there.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #47
earlbooms is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Shawn
earlbooms's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod. Thanks for the info!

It was a serious pain making those connections in such a cramped space, and I'm a fairly small guy. I'm glad I did it though.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #48
If you dont find it tonight ill post another pic, I found it and clipped it without remoing anything.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #49

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmas Computer View Post
whered u find the dang plug!
Did you see the plug for the data link? It's white and has a black cover over it. Right above that is a big white plug with only three wires coming out of it. The is all on the backside of that fuse panel, so it's hard to maneuver around, but it's up there.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #50

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmas Computer View Post
did you have to remove the big gray panel with the clips on the backside of the fuse box??

and data link meaning the OBDII?
By big grey panel, do you mean the whole fuse box? If so, then no, I didn't. If you do, then it might actually be easier to make the connections, cause you'd have more room to work. I thought about doing it.

And yeah, the OBDII is the data link.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #51

Navy:
Maybe these pics will help...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #52
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
i just seen this and have a question for guys who want to be able to have all the lights off in park ... every vehicle ive ever driven so far with daytime running lights, THEY TURN OFF if the PARKING BRAKE IS ON .... so it seems like a lot of work if thats the reason.
The Tacoma's DTRL do not turn off when the parking brake is on, at least after it's been driven. If it did, we wouldn't have had to mod our trucks. Silly Toyota.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #54
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Matt
11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, I just ordered my DTRL kit from trdparts4u.com and will do this along with the install. I was wondering if there was a way to toggle the DTRL's. I like the idea of being able to go with no lights at all. Thanks for the write up!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #55
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BSSG View Post
Awesome, I just ordered my DTRL kit from trdparts4u.com and will do this along with the install. I was wondering if there was a way to toggle the DTRL's. I like the idea of being able to go with no lights at all. Thanks for the write up!
Maybe you shoul re-read the whole post for the answer...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #56
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Matt
11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Maybe you shoul re-read the whole post for the answer...
I was referring to the post.... as in "I was previously wondering if there was a way to toggle", until the TacomaWorld fairy came and dropped this thread in my lap. Reading what I wrote, I can see how you would take that as a question; but it was more of a statement. Read, "and will do this along with the install." Just showing my gratitude to the OP for the write up. I'm still relatively a newb, but I'm not a full ruh-tard. (I try to never go full retard.)
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #58

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
nice write up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BSSG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoVerde View Post
How the hell did i not find this earlier lol....good job crom
I'm glad to help out. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #59
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
Finally did it yesterday, didn't bother taking pictures since mine looks almost the same as OP's. The hardest part was maneuvering in the small space. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #60
primer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: T
primer's Tacoma Gallery
Big thanks to Crom for putting this together. Great mod. Finally finished mine today. Very pleased except I scuffed things up when I drilled for my switch.

This isn't very organized, but I hope it makes this easier for some who are new to this like me.

My 2 cents:

This is a hard place to work. I’ve done a little of this sort of stuff, but the wire you’re tapping into is short and hard to work with. I didn’t see this until after I’d already done much of this part, but if I were doing it again - I’d do this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...le-switch.html

I pulled the green/red wire out of the group to get some more slack to work with.

Then I just inserted a length of red wire to make it longer and even EASIER to work with.

Thanks to caribe makaira I used a 3m fuse tap which worked fine.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok-S...amazonquery-20

You cut the wire then put both ends in the tap and close it. The circuit is broken unless you insert a fuse. With a fuse in place the circuit is closed and the DTRL work just like normal. I put male spade connectors on the leads to my switch and inserted them in the slots for the fuse and now the switch controls the lights. I can pull the switch wires out and put the fuse in and I'm basically stock again.

It’s made for larger wire so I stripped mine before I closed it to make sure there was good contact. The spade connectors were a little to big so I trimmed them with some tin snips. They are close enough to one another that I worried they might touch so I put some electrical tape around one.

This is the switch I used:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/87...tl=g52c343s894

Flush mount. Worked great. The terminals don’t look like the web site said.

This is the back of the switch:

I tested and found that attaching my wires to the top and bottom of the group of 3 terminals on the side that are unlabeled gave me what I wanted. In the normal state (switch not depressed) the DTRL are on. If you press the switch the DTRL go off. Attaching 12v to the two terminals labeled + and - lights the LED. I couldn’t find a combination that lit it based on whether it was pressed or not. I have no doubt that can be done, but I wasn’t sure I wanted it lit at all so I didn’t hook anything up for illumination.

This thread documents some of my prep work:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...itch-help.html

Products Discussed in this Thread