Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #61
reiss91 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
reiss91's Tacoma Gallery
If your trying to just shut off the drls for installing switchback LEDs just remove the pin from the connector and tape the pin. That way you can always just put it back in
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #62
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #63
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #64
Geaux Tigers
BradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brad
BradleyJ33's Tacoma Gallery
I performed this mod this weekend. I found it much easier to remove the nuts holding the fuse panel in place, fold the fuse panel down, and reach behind it to remove the entire harness by disconnecting the 3 plugs. Spliced in my switch then re-hooked everything back up. Awesome mod though, thanks for the writeup!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #65
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
I just pulled the pin for the red/green wire and insulated it with heat shrink tubing. I didn't want the DRLs at all. If need be I can pull the insulation off and re-insert the pin to bring the DRLs back.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #66
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyJ33 View Post
I performed this mod this weekend. I found it much easier to remove the nuts holding the fuse panel in place, fold the fuse panel down, and reach behind it to remove the entire harness by disconnecting the 3 plugs. Spliced in my switch then re-hooked everything back up. Awesome mod though, thanks for the writeup!
Thanks for reporting that. I modified the OP and quoted you. It would be much easier to do that.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #67
jordando89 is on a distinguished road

Name: jordan
jordando89's Tacoma Gallery
any one know how to do this but hook it up with the trail maker lights on steering column?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #68
BrettA2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
BrettA2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info!

CROM and others...thanks for all of the info you posted on this topic. I was able to complete this mod this weekend and it went real well. I did it on a 2009 Tacoma. Hooked the lights up to a Toyota OEM switch as well.

Thanks again...this is a great community!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #69
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettA2 View Post
CROM and others...thanks for all of the info you posted on this topic. I was able to complete this mod this weekend and it went real well. I did it on a 2009 Tacoma. Hooked the lights up to a Toyota OEM switch as well.

Glad it worked out for you!! Stick around, much more great info on TW!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #70
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Subbd
Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #71
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordando89 View Post
any one know how to do this but hook it up with the trail maker lights on steering column?
I am confused what "trail maker lights" are.

I am also subd' to this thread. Mine are disabled by pulling the pin and insulating the pin to avoid shorts. I am still debating on adding a switch, as having them on would disable my switchback LEDs mod.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #72
Lieutenant Dan.

Installers error!

Just a heads up, be careful when you are wiring this mod up, I wired something backwards and fried something on the truck cause my DTRL's dont work anymore. I replaced the DTRL relay and wiring harness and still nothing so they are permanently disabled. I checked all fuses and found nothing. Everything else still works though, parking lights, turn signals and hazards so I dont know what I messed up. Anyone know what could have happened?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #73
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettA2 View Post

Glad you found it helpful. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Just a heads up, be careful when you are wiring this mod up, I wired something backwards and fried something on the truck cause my DTRL's dont work anymore. I replaced the DTRL relay and wiring harness and still nothing so they are permanently disabled. I checked all fuses and found nothing. Everything else still works though, parking lights, turn signals and hazards so I dont know what I messed up. Anyone know what could have happened?
I'd check the wire that goes from the Body ECU to the junction block. Check it to make sure there is continuity all the way through (no short in it). If it burned up, then that is your problem. See this diagram posted in the OP here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...le-switch.html It's the Light Green w/ black tracer wire.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #74
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I'd check the wire that goes from the Body ECU to the junction block. Check it to make sure there is continuity all the way through (no short in it). If it burned up, then that is your problem. See this diagram posted in the OP here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...le-switch.html It's the Light Green w/ black tracer wire.
Oh okay got yah. Yeah when I have some time I will have to try this out and see if its the wire thats burnt out. Thanks for the info!!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #75
Murman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Murman's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod today after reading just the first page of this thread. I didn't feel like removing part of the dash to get to the back of the fuse panel so I tried to find out where the green and red wire went. I traced the other end of it to the box attached to the passenger side of the fuse panel (photo 1). Unplugging the connector from the box (photo 2), I was able to pull the wire harness down from behind the dash and do my splicing out in the open (photo 3). I thought I had found an easier way to do this until I just read the rest of this thread. Anyway, here are my photos, maybe they will help someone.
Attached Thumbnails
DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-fuse-box1.jpg   DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-fuse-box.jpg   DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-img_3738.jpg   DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-img_3741.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #77
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
anybody got any opinions on the easiest place to tap for switch illumination if I wanted to light the switch?

http://otrattw.com/proddetail.php?pr...J66B-AFCN5-17U
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #78
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by three west View Post
anybody got any opinions on the easiest place to tap for switch illumination if I wanted to light the switch?

http://otrattw.com/proddetail.php?pr...J66B-AFCN5-17U
Yeah I just tapped into a mini fuse under the dash.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #79
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah I just tapped into a mini fuse under the dash.
yeah, just off the fuse block eh?
I was thinking if I knew the pinouts of the neighboring lit switches that would be easy too
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #80
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by three west View Post
yeah, just off the fuse block eh?
I was thinking if I knew the pinouts of the neighboring lit switches that would be easy too
Yeah just off the fuse block. I just used an add-a-fuse line and tied into one of the active fuses.

Products Discussed in this Thread