DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #101
MahTaco is on a distinguished road
MahTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
Bump, wondering the same, about to do this on a 12
I just did it today on my '12 and it was exactly the same set up. It only took me a few minutes though because I didn't need the switch, I just cut the wire and put some tape on it.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #102
overkill is underrated
bluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
bluefish's Tacoma Gallery
This may be common knowledge, but i just found out while messing with those harnesses and checking the lights that the dtrls do not come on with ignition if the e-brake is engaged. They will come on as soon as the ebrake lets go though. (mine is a '12 with auto trans)

For somebody who simply wants to idle the truck without dtrls, you could skip this mod and start the engine with the ebreak on. For those who want to drive stealth mode you still need to interrupt that wire.

Thanks to the op for a great write up here, very helpful
Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #103
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
This may be common knowledge, but i just found out while messing with those harnesses and checking the lights that the dtrls do not come on with ignition if the e-brake is engaged. They will come on as soon as the ebrake lets go though. (mine is a '12 with auto trans)

For somebody who simply wants to idle the truck without dtrls, you could skip this mod and start the engine with the ebreak on. For those who want to drive stealth mode you still need to interrupt that wire.

Thanks to the op for a great write up here, very helpful
Funny you should mention this. The reason I researched this mod was because I was in the mountains and pulled up to a really nice vista and I wanted to keep the truck idling to keep the heater running. I turned off all my lights and those pesky DTRL stayed illuminated. I had to put it in park, set the e-brake and cycle the ignition. That's a lot of work and cycling the ignition pissed me off! Thus I was determined to find a way.

This mod interrupts the signal wire sent by the trucks body ECU that the e-brake was released. I love my DTRL switch. I could have just cut the wire like so many others since I never run with them on anymore. They're off all the time for me. I use my fogs instead.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #104
CQB 1911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
CQB 1911's Tacoma Gallery
I'm the second owner of a 2010 AC OR. My DTRL's haven't worked since I bought the truck. I assume it should have working DTRL's??? Either the previous owner or the dealershit disabled them.

The stealership also wired up some kind of remote ignition disable/enable system cause my fuse box has all kinds of T-splices going to some kind of led screwed to the bottom of the dash. Do you guys think it's ok to remove there wiring? I guess a picture would help. I'll post a couple if anyone is interested in seeing what I'm talking about.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #105
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
Nice mod, I think I will do this, setting the parking brake and cycling the ignition is annoying.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #106
primer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: T
primer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB 1911 View Post
I'm the second owner of a 2010 AC OR. My DTRL's haven't worked since I bought the truck. I assume it should have working DTRL's??? Either the previous owner or the dealershit disabled them.

The stealership also wired up some kind of remote ignition disable/enable system cause my fuse box has all kinds of T-splices going to some kind of led screwed to the bottom of the dash. Do you guys think it's ok to remove there wiring? I guess a picture would help. I'll post a couple if anyone is interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

Can't help much on the wiring, I'll bet. But I can tell you not all tacoma's had DTRL. At least that was true in 05 and 06. If they all do now, I'm not sure what year that changed.

The wiring could be an attempt to add or remove DTRL.

TL
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #107
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
Cutting the wire this weekend
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #108
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got around to doing this today. Worked great! Couldn't find the right drill though so I just stuck my switch on the front of the fuse box until I find the right drill size.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #109
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARR4NT View Post
Cutting the wire this weekend
Ok so on my '12, I got under the dash by pulling off that little cubby drawer door and found a mess of tires zip tied together...started looking through all those wires and found a green and red wire. Could this be the right wire? It's that easy? Or do I need to take the fuse panel out and splice into the wire coming out the back of it? I also noticed that the green and red wire I found right off the bat has a wire splice into it for the aftermarket alarm I had installed. Now I don't know if I should do it or not because I don't want to disable the alarm if it is hooked into the wire somehow. Doesn't seem like one would really have to do with the other.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #112
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!!!

I finally got around to doing this mod and I need help. I found agreen wire with red line, cut it and nothing changed at all. The pic shows the bundle I found the Green/red wire I cut and reattached with the orange twister. I could NOT figure out what this wire goes to. I have a '12 dc lb. Can anyone provide any help?
Attached Thumbnails
DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-20120829_141528.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #113
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDtres View Post
I finally got around to doing this mod and I need help. I found agreen wire with red line, cut it and nothing changed at all. The pic shows the bundle I found the Green/red wire I cut and reattached with the orange twister. I could NOT figure out what this wire goes to. I have a '12 dc lb. Can anyone provide any help?
so after cutting it your DTRL were still on? and your lights were switched off on the stalk?

I did mine last summer I think, perhaps you got the wrong wire? Dunno exactly how many down there are that color pattern.

Here are some previous pics to help illustrate the location of the proper wire.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #115
iamunique127 is on a distinguished road
iamunique127's Tacoma Gallery
My 2006 DC has the DTRL and if the e-brake is on before starting the truck the DTRL don't come on (until releasing the e-brake).

Good write up on the mod but those of us in Manitoba (up here in Canada) don't need to consider twisting our backs for this mod-- it is mandatory we have DTRL and there is a substantial fine if you don't.

I'm not sure but other provinces or states may have similar laws. It's probably worth checking out.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #116
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
My 2006 DC has the DTRL and if the e-brake is on before starting the truck the DTRL don't come on (until releasing the e-brake).

Good write up on the mod but those of us in Manitoba (up here in Canada) don't need to consider twisting our backs for this mod-- it is mandatory we have DTRL and there is a substantial fine if you don't.

I'm not sure but other provinces or states may have similar laws. It's probably worth checking out.
Isn't it funny how things change. When I learned to drive it was illegal to drive with just your park lights on.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #117
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Before i cut

so i figured this smaller guage light green wire with thin red strip has to be it. Can anyone confirm before i cut it? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-20120830_230319.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #118
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Success

Hey guys, I was successful in completing this mod on my '12 DC LB Sport Up. It was the light green wire with thin red line listed poste in the previous pic. I was able to solder my pieces cleanly, shrinkwrap and tidy up under the dash. Great mod, write up and input from all. THANK YOU!

Products Discussed in this Thread