LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #121
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So I went and purchased my switch today. Instead of going with a small switch I went with one that I can visually see if my DTRL are on or not. I completed making the switch here it is. Thanks for the write-up.
Attached Thumbnails
DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-switch.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #122
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Installed- I just have to mount the switch now. It took a few hours and was a pain getting to the plug. I ended up having to solder to the green wire to extend it but after that was done it didn't take to long. I took a pic of what I did I will post it below. Soldered to green wire/red stripe to extended it than put heat shrink to protect it. The two black wires hanging are what I added.

Completed switch install and this is where I placed it. It was a little nerve racking drilling into the dash but all turned out well.

Attached Thumbnails
DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)-green-wire-extended.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #123
Triton1217 is on a distinguished road
Triton1217's Tacoma Gallery
Stealth mode

Now I have control of my DTRL, I would like to put brake lights on a switch also. Not much stealth involved when the world lights up red behind you.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #124
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton1217 View Post
Now I have control of my DTRL, I would like to put brake lights on a switch also. Not much stealth involved when the world lights up red behind you.
Yup. I actually have plans to do this, but it's not a high priority for me right now... Eventually though.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #125
Triton1217 is on a distinguished road
Triton1217's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have an idea for the brake light switch? Stealth mode gets blown out of the water when you touch the brakes!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #127
The Way Life Should Be
HighTideTaco is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter II
Name: Jon
HighTideTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Along with the seat belt chime and door lock/unlock beeps, this mod helped eliminate the "issues" I had with my truck. Love the option now.

I agree with 1stacoma that a toggle switch is best so you know whether DTRLs are "on" or "off".

Thanks, Crom!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #128
Bookin is on a distinguished road

Bookin's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #129
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!

So i did this mod... cut the green/red wire. DTRL's turned off. Put a red wire to one side of the green/red wire and a black to the other side. did the same with my switch (SPST switch). plugged it in to test... still do DTRL's. switch the wires on my switch... still no DTRL. connected the black wire to the red wire that i spliced into the green/red wire (so the green/red wire should've been connect BACK to the green/red wire) and still no DTRL.

both the connections seem to be good.. i cant pull the wires out of either/any sides of my connectors.. so i know it's not loose.

are the DTRL's fused with anything? it's possible thats my problems but i couldnt find the DTRL's fuse anywhere.

UPDATE
- when looking at the picture i just posted i saw a pin switch.. thought "what is that for".. then i thought.. "parking brake".. "PARKING BRAKE!!!!!" that was my answer. when the parking brake it on the DTRL's shut off. i just tired it without the parking brake on and everything works great!

this is where i put my switch... and this is the switch i used. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350641936947...84.m1439.l2649

now i can finally use my fog's only.

or use my parking lights and fog's without the bright stupid DTRL's
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #130
silverBullet2012 is on a distinguished road

silverBullet2012's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to do this mod. I found a green/red wire but I noticed the other 2 wires in that plug are yellow & blue, in the other photos those wires are red. Can someone please confirm that this is the correct wire to cut? I just want to be sure before I go snipping underneath my dash. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #131
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverBullet2012 View Post
I'm about to do this mod. I found a green/red wire but I noticed the other 2 wires in that plug are yellow & blue, in the other photos those wires are red. Can someone please confirm that this is the correct wire to cut? I just want to be sure before I go snipping underneath my dash. Thanks.

Yeah, looks correct. The poster above you spliced into that wire and he had the same colored wires above you. I'm not sure what year the other colored wires changed, but the DTRL signal wire appears to remain the same [green with red tracer].
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #132
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverBullet2012 View Post

that's the correct one.. just did it on my 2012. cut it!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #133
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revive.

Is it possible to do this switch on the mirrors with the turn signal and run them as DTRL's?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #134
TallTomsTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
TallTomsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
DTRL toggle switch mod

Ok after getting the harness unpluged on the rear of the fuse box and identifing the correct wire to splice i discovered that the harness wouldnt pull down far enough for me to work on it so i decided to save it for another day and i plugged the harness back in and now i dont have any DTRL. Does anyone have any sugestions? I dont get it, it worked befor i unpluged it and i put it back in the exact same place it came off. If anyone can help i would be very thankful.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #135
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
I removed the pin from the back of M1. Now I want to add a switch and I didn't mark where the pin goes. Anyone able to take a picture of the M1 plug for me and post here please? Now that I have V3 LEDs installed I am not worried about heat ruining my lens.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #136
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
I had originally done this mod over last summer, but left a small switch dangling up behind the dash. Then I stumbled upon these switches that t_e makes and decided to run the switch over to that location on the dash. Wired it up this weekend and couldn't be more pleased. Here's a pic:

Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #138
peterlthomas is on a distinguished road
Marines: Wpns Dragons 1/3
Name: Peter
peterlthomas's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I'm talking about! Thank you for the perfect instructions! Works great!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #139
Txfly is on a distinguished road
Txfly's Tacoma Gallery
I love the search button (that's why my post count is so low)...but to add on to my other empty thread...
I think I'm figuring this out, but one question...
If the G/R is a ground, would it be possible to wire new lights hot and tap the G/R as the ground for them?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #140
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfly View Post
I love the search button (that's why my post count is so low)...but to add on to my other empty thread...
I think I'm figuring this out, but one question...
If the G/R is a ground, would it be possible to wire new lights hot and tap the G/R as the ground for them?
I don't know the schematic for that specific circuit, but I'm almost 100% positive that that wire is part of the relay for the entire DTRL circuit. So, only use that wire for running as the turn on switch to a separate relay for your lights.

However, I can't really answer your question as to if that is the ground or not. If you search google and maybe on here you can find the TSM (service manuals) that have each circuit for the electrical wiring in our trucks. That would show whether or not it is a ground.