Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

fog light led indicator

Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
ESNTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
ESNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
fog light led indicator

Does anyone know how to wire an led or other light bulb into the stock wiring harness on the back of the fog light rocker? i did the fog on anytime mod a while back and i want it to light up only when the fogs are on. i've pulled the switch out and tried every different combo i can think of. all i can get it to do is light up only when the fogs are off, then turn off when the fogs are on. then the fog lights stay on no matter where the switch is until i un ground the led. Can't wrap my head around this one. anyone...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

ESNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
that link is what gave me the idea for it. parts of the write up arent clear to me though. im also afraid ill just butcher my switch up real bad. i bought an led from radio shack inside a green lense. it has red(hot) and a black (ground) wires coming from it. it seems like i should just be able to hook it up and make it work.

If i cant do it that way i might do what the guy dbbd1 on page 4 of that link did and just order the fj switch w/ the built in indicator light. but i was hoping to do it on the cheap. and its more satisfying to come up with something on your own. im gonna mess with it some more tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #4

ESNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. i figured out how to make this work. its pretty simple actually.

there is a plug with two wires that plugs to the fog light itself. one wire is green and the other is white with a black stripe. using a quick splice connector i spliced into the green wire. then ran that wire up the side of the engine bay and through the fire wall where the hood release cable goes through. i had to tape it to a straitened out close hanger and push it through.

i drilled a hole in one of the blank switchs and put in the led light. i soldered the wire coming from the green wire to the 'hot' wire on the led(red on mine) then soldered another wire to the ground and grounded it on one of the bolts that mounts the fuse box.

now when i push the fog light switch a green light comes on right next to it.

its bright as hell. does anyone know how to make it a little dimmer? isnt that what resistors are for? i have no idea.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESNTACO View Post
its bright as hell. does anyone know how to make it a little dimmer? isnt that what resistors are for? i have no idea.
Congrats on your new mod. Yes, a resister inline with your LED will make it illuminate less.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
im sure there is an easier way to do this rather then running wires all over the place.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #7

ESNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDKenE View Post
im sure there is an easier way to do this rather then running wires all over the place.
i thought so too. there may be, but i couldn't figure it out. anyway it wasn't very hard the way i did it. just one long wire.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
deerslayer75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
deerslayer75's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to change the colors in all of my switches: fog light, vsc and traction control. I bought 3- 5mm led's thinking I could just solder the cathodes to the contacts. I checked before starting and can't even get them to light. Can anyone help me out. This is my last step before tackling the HVAC.