Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

55W HID in fogs

Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
55W HID in fogs

Has anybody done this? It doesnt seem like they generate that much heat and the fogs on our trucks are fairly large. I live out in the middle of bumf**k nowhere and could really use the extra light on the sides of the road. They would not be used in the city at all.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, i think ill order them and try it. What is the bulb type? H3?

EDIT: NVM its an H10, i was thinking of the Hella 500/700 conversion.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
For the love of your fellow drivers... please don't do this, you'll just be blinding oncoming drivers. The foglight housing doesn't properly aim the HID bulbs and the lights will be putting out glare all over.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #5

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
If you would have read the initial post, when i use my fogs the closest vehicle with a driver in it is probably a mile away on a county road. I never use my fogs in the city.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
dudemattbored is on a distinguished road
Name: dude, its matt
dudemattbored's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is a little off topic but, when you guys talk about the wattage are you talking about the consuming or the producing?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Mckeown343
Kyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really nice

Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
It will work fine I have 55W in my headlights and my fogs. There is no problems what so ever. And for the heat issue the HID bulbs actually run cooler than your normal 55W Halogen bulb.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #10

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Ya ill post up a review and pics when i get them. Still waiting on SLLLOOOOOWWWWW DDM to ship them. lol but at least they have a ticker on the home page now saying what orders are shipping.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Mckeown343
Kyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really nice

Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
Thats sucks i got mine through KBrownCustoms.com took less than a week.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
what is the bulb number for the hid fog light? I know the head light is H4/9003.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
i had some 55w hid's in my wrx. the heat + a crapping bulb that came with the hid kit trashed the lenses on my headlights. if you choose this route, get some good bulbs (85122+)

just because it happened to me, doesn't mean it will happen to you. but it was a pita. just a heads up thats all. be waring if you are running hid's in your headlights + a booming stereo. i watched a hid kit kill an alternator in a few minutes due to the load it caused.

oh, one last thing. don't go and ruin functionality by getting some 6000k bulbs. it is a proven fact that they are not the brightest out there. 4300k for headlights and something like 3000k for the fogs. anything other than, its more for the "cool looking" blue affect. and no production car comes stock with them. they are all 4300k from the factory for a reason.

sorry for this long post, but i've read on this for a long time while in the subaru community and i like sharing useful information.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Hemi, just put 65W into his fog housing using 9005 bulbs. He stated it works very well. Read about his experience here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...fog-bulbs.html
...until his fogs lenses start to brown and bubble from too much heat....
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
don't see the purpose of the fogs with highbeams. are you looking down the road or right in front of you? the fogs were meant to be used in bad weather conditions and are aimed low. color has a lot to do with it too. but i'm sure no one really cares about that either. 6k fogs are worthless like high beams in the fog. yellow lights travel better in the fog than 6k's will ever do. besides.... with all these people doing pnp kits, how did you fix your glare issue without a retro? let me guess..."its not that bad" right? i'm guessing more than half of the people here who do this just don't care about others. your truck is higher, that means you are blinding more people. aiming them lower is worthless too. now you can't see, and you are still blinding others. so sad

yosh, nice setup. do this on a 1st gen taco
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
red balls got me!

IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
If you would have read the initial post, when i use my fogs the closest vehicle with a driver in it is probably a mile away on a county road. I never use my fogs in the city.
if you are serious about doing this, consider getting a wire harness for your fogs. running an over wattage bulb with stock wiring can cause problems. like yosh said, you can bulb can burn the fog lenses or even better, the wire harness itself. have heard and seen plenty of people who melt their wires cause the put these cheap ebay high wattage bulbs in or even a bad hid pnp would do the same.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
...until his fogs lenses start to brown and bubble from too much heat....
Are you serious or are you assuming something went wrong with his lights?