Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

sylvania silverstar rep.bulbs

Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
nasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nice
nasty ned's Tacoma Gallery
sylvania silverstar rep.bulbs

Need a little help here.Bought a pair on new bulbs in nov.to replace the originals which i thought sucked.LOved them could see great for two months until 1 died.Just a fluke i thought so i replaced it for another $25.00 that i really don,t have.Two weeks later you quessed it the other bulb blew.now i know that these bulbs are not supposed to last forever but w.t.f.the lights are only on tops (2)hours a day and i don't use them as dtrls.I am not able to afford one of these h.i.d. systems.Is there any economical solution to the problem? Are all replacement bulbs so short lived?Is it to much to expect high performance for big $$$$$.!!!! any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. thanks nasty
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard nothing but bad things about the silverstars.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
cjastacio is on a distinguished road
cjastacio's Tacoma Gallery
I may be stating the obvious here but did you use gloves when putting them in? If you touch the bulb with your bare hands, the oils could cause them to blow.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Sparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Sparky4.0's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said
Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
I did this a few months back with NO issues.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I used them in my Accord a few years back and neither bulb lasted a year. Obviously I can't recommend them. BTW, I didn't touch the bulbs when I installed them.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i had silverstars in my t100 for over two years w/o a failure. either you've gotten them dirty installing, or sylvania had an issue that day at the factory.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
I have silverstars too and they both went at the same time like clockwork, I wont be buying them again, yes I touched them with my hands but honestly a little bit of oil on the outside of the bulb is going to cause the coil inside to break? i dont think so
Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
I keep reading about how everyone says i want a better, brighter bulb but i cant afford an expensive HID system. But in actuality they are relatively cheap. I did both my headlights with hi/lo and my fogs for $100 in 55W HID.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
its not the costs that has stopped me from doing it, its the fact that they arent legal.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends on where you are. Im in a somewhat rural area and have been stopped by our local pd once and just asked to not run my fogs while in town.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
I've had Silverstars for over 18 months with no issues... Sorry you are having issues.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
you can get HID's for like 30 bucks from http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I got 4 months out of my left one, my right one went out last week. Got six months out of that one. If you read the package silvania says they have the worst lifespan out of all of their bulbs. I have been thinking about HIDS but i'm still on the fence. Being in a truck higher up they are more than a nuisance than being in a car. I might buy them again though. They are only about $30 a pair.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
I have them. They lasted about year and a half with no issues. Just switched them because both of the low beams died but the highs still worked.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
It really depends on where you are. Im in a somewhat rural area and have been stopped by our local pd once and just asked to not run my fogs while in town.
Cops don't seem to care around here, although obviously they're not DOT legal anywhere. I don't want HID's in the Taco because I don't feel like doing a whole retrofit and I don't want to blind people with them being up high in a truck having them just in the regular housings. I had HID's in my last car but with it being lower to the ground I never had a problem with blinding people and those lights were actually pretty good with not dispersing the light all crazy. A lot different with a cars headlights and then a trucks that would be at eye level to someone driving a car.

I've had Silverstars in my headlight and fog lights since August, no problems yet.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
l_prettyman has a spectacular aura aboutl_prettyman has a spectacular aura about
Name: Logan
l_prettyman's Tacoma Gallery
mine work perfect but somewhere i read there is a lifetime warrenty... if one blows yours supposed to be able to take it back to the store and they will give you one. that's what i've been told at least
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #18
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_prettyman View Post
mine work perfect but somewhere i read there is a lifetime warrenty... if one blows yours supposed to be able to take it back to the store and they will give you one. that's what i've been told at least
I doubt that. Read the back of the package. Sylvania basically tells you they cannot guarantee the lifespan of the bulb due to the additional output these bulbs have compared to their other products.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
nasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nice
nasty ned's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input.No i didn't touch the the bulbs.I read bulbage 101 chap.1.I actually use sterile cloth gloves from work that do the trick.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #20
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
I have read alot of negative reviews about Sylvania Silverstars, but the Osram Silverstars (European version) get much better reviews for some reason. I don't know what the difference is but they seem to last longer according to people who have used both.