LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Extending wire after HID ballast?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Extending wire after HID ballast?

So i just made a light bar for the bed of my truck. I converted two rectangle off road lights to 55w HID's. I drilled the back of them out made a gromet to fit the bulb and epoxied them in. Everything worked fine. Then i decided to extend the ballast far away from the lights so the ballast wasn't visible. I put them in a water proof box and mounted it under the bed where it is not visible. Now to the problem. I cut the wires going from the ballast to the bulb and extended them by soldering them. I used heat shrink when i was done to make sure it was fully insulated. I flip the switch and hear a loud buzzing sound for two seconds and they dont turn on. I noticed that the original wire is double insulated. It has a white insulation on the inside (I think this is PVC insulated wire). i then notice when i turn the switch on that before power is getting to the lights it is shorting out. Little arcs are coming out of the piece of cable that i soldered on and jumping to the ground. Im guessing this is happening because the HID ballast output is a higher voltage. I think thats all i need to do is replace the wire i added in with the heavy insulated wire they used. Does anyone know what type of wire this is and where i can get it. And sorry for the really long paragraph.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I was going to do the same for my quad but I was told not to mess with the high voltage wires because of this problem. Also the added wire will add some resistance and could affect the performance and life of the ballast.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
hmm I didn't Know that. I had them working fine with the extended wire as long as where the arc was jumping out i moved away from the ground. But thanks for the Info.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I added wire in mine for the lights I have mounted on my light bar. I only had to add about 12" of wire But I didnt get any problems from mine. IIRC I just used 10gauge wire and soldered the ends. but the wire I extended was the wire from the bulb to the ballast.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #5

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what i did but i extended mine about 5 feet. I think ill be fine as long as i can find some of that double insulated wire. Tired looking it up on line but it was no luck.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Very Very Very bad idea. There is 23,000 Volts going through those wires on start up. Very good chance for Arcing if you don't use the right kind of wire. Not something I suggest doing even if they seem to be working. This has nothing to do with the gauge of the wire and everything to do with the type of insulation.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Its all over ebay. This is what you should have bought to begin with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-E...Q5fAccessories