Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED footwell mod problem

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
t.robert is a jewel in the rought.robert is a jewel in the rought.robert is a jewel in the rough
Name: Taylor
t.robert's Tacoma Gallery
LED footwell mod problem

I just did the mod where i put an orange LED on under each footwell. I tapped into the climate controls so I would be able to dim them. The problem I ran into is that I wired the the passenger LED straight off the climate control then I wired the driver LED off of that one. My driver side LED is not nearly as bright as the passenger side. Can someone please tell me how to fix this.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
here is how I ran my wires. one power wire and they all connect at the same spot so none of them get power before the other
Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
t.robert is a jewel in the rought.robert is a jewel in the rought.robert is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
here is how I ran my wires. one power wire and they all connect at the same spot so none of them get power before the other
How did you connect them at the same spot? I suspect you made some sort of plug?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just used a crimp wire connector, put the power from the truck on one side and then twisted all the LED powers together and stuck them in the other end and crimped.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Okay cool,
do you need a ground on the switch too?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.robert View Post
Okay cool,
do you need a ground on the switch too?
If I undersand Keason's diagram correctly--No. The LED's are grounded on the right side of the diagram (black color). The switch appears to control the +12V signal (red color). When the switch is closed the circuit is complete and current will flow from the left (add-a-fuse), through the switch and to the LED's which are grounded to some place in the truck.

I hope that helps you.

Keason, I like your diagram man
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
If I undersand Keason's diagram correctly--No. The LED's are grounded on the right side of the diagram (black color). The switch appears to control the +12V signal (red color). When the switch is closed the circuit is complete and current will flow from the left (add-a-fuse), through the switch and to the LED's which are grounded to some place in the truck.

I hope that helps you.

Keason, I like your diagram man
you are very right sir. I have been asked this a few times so I made up a diagram a while back. It's easier to explain if you can actually see it, well for me it is, I'm a visual learner.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
rookie
lb86 will become famous soon enough

lb86's Tacoma Gallery
i just ordered two of the weather proof strips of LEDs from Oznium, i hooked them up acording to your diagram bu t can't seem to get them to work. i understand the concept but this is my first time tampering with the add a fuse. also, do i need to ground the switch and the LEDs?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a ground you don't have a circuit. That would be the place to start.

Also LEDs must be wired in the right direction if they are backwards nothing will happen.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
you could also ground it to the door switch so the leds turn on when the door is opened.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_e View Post
you could also ground it to the door switch so the leds turn on when the door is opened.

that might be getting a little complicated for his first run. the switch doesnt have to be grounded, but your LED's do. Also as said above, make sure they are the correct direction, one side will be + and other will be -
Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
Thanks for the help guys, I just finished all my lighting mods this weekend.
Orange LED's in footwells and in center counsel vent in the back.
Cool white led's in the dome and map lights.
55watt 6000k Hi/lo beam HID's
35watt 600ok HID's for the fogs.

Loving the new lights and getting flashed a ton
Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #14

if your getting flashed, make sure you adjust your headlights. there are two knobs that do so on the back of your headlight housing, hidden behind little black covers.
Do this and you will be good to go. just shine your lights against a garage door or side of a buildidng to get them pointed down and the same height with each other.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...eadlights.html