Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

help with retrofit headlights....

Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
i2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of light

i2andom81's Tacoma Gallery
help with retrofit headlights....

After the install of my retrofits everything worked fine. now my brights dont work. the lights turn off when i flick the high beams on. the high beams worked once and then never again. the lights work fine in the low beam position btw. anyone know the fix and how to do it?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Which wiring harness are you using? You have to remember, the stock harness has 3 ports. 1 low beam, 1 high beam, and 1 ground. When you have your low beam on, and then flick to high, the lows go off and the highs come on. So basically now that you have a retrofit, your HIDs go off, and the shield opens.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
i2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of light

i have the h4 wiring. i think something went wrong somewhere because i used the high beams once and then they never worked again
Old 04-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
TRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
TRDguyKC's Tacoma Gallery
same exact thing happened to me and it took me 2 hours to figure out that i blew the high fuses in the fuse box.......

Check those, probably the issue.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
same thing happened to me, its our stock relay, it doesnt work with D2s type projectors. What you need it this: http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...b1750e1c5356bd

I got this harness, direct plug and play, and it works perfectly now.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDguyKC View Post
same exact thing happened to me and it took me 2 hours to figure out that i blew the high fuses in the fuse box.......

Check those, probably the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
same thing happened to me, its our stock relay, it doesnt work with D2s type projectors. What you need it this: http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...b1750e1c5356bd

I got this harness, direct plug and play, and it works perfectly now.
you just have to wire it up correctly w/ a diode. when the highs are selected, the low beam is no longer powered. therefore, if you harness is setup to power the ballast w/ the low beam wire only, when you flick the highs, you will no longer be powering the bulb (this is why the OP's bulbs work fine on low beam, but turn off when the highs are selected). you need a diode between the high and low wire (IIRC) to ensure the ballast is always powered no matter hi/low beam.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #7

the fuse was blown. switched them out and good to go! thanks that was a painless fix
Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
TRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
TRDguyKC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2andom81 View Post
the fuse was blown. switched them out and good to go! thanks that was a painless fix
i knew it! it took me 1.5 hours to figure that out. glad i could help dude.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
weird problem with my D2s retrofit right now, some times when I turn on my headlights, nothing comes on, but when I turn the high beams on, the bulbs turn on. This is weird because high and low beam is on the same bulb for D2s so if high beams work, i know the low beam should work. Is there a known problem with the retrofit source harness not working correctly over time?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
Thucker is on a distinguished road
Thucker's Tacoma Gallery
Guys. To solve a lot of your problems and gain performance out of your retrofits, you should really make your own wiring harness that gets power directly from the battery. Use a relay and feed power from the baterry directly to the balasts, and use the a source from your fuse box to trigger the relay when the light switch is on. Then use the high beam power from your oem light harness to trigger the solenoid on the projectors for the high beam.

Using power from your OEM harness will work, but the wires in the factory harness are small and not meant to push that much power through.

I've done many retrofits and used plug and plays kits before. When you make a custom harness using direct power, your light output will be noticeably brighter.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Which wiring harness are you using? You have to remember, the stock harness has 3 ports. 1 low beam, 1 high beam, and 1 ground. When you have your low beam on, and then flick to high, the lows go off and the highs come on. So basically now that you have a retrofit, your HIDs go off, and the shield opens.
did you ever get that TL? they are nice i saw that a while back.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucker View Post
Guys. To solve a lot of your problems and gain performance out of your retrofits, you should really make your own wiring harness that gets power directly from the battery. Use a relay and feed power from the baterry directly to the balasts, and use the a source from your fuse box to trigger the relay when the light switch is on. Then use the high beam power from your oem light harness to trigger the solenoid on the projectors for the high beam.

Using power from your OEM harness will work, but the wires in the factory harness are small and not meant to push that much power through.

I've done many retrofits and used plug and plays kits before. When you make a custom harness using direct power, your light output will be noticeably brighter.
is this true? i just ordered a complete retrofit setup the other day from trs. i don't have a problem splicing a wire or two but i would not know where to start when it comes to making a wiring harness for hid's lol.