Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella 500 bulb replacement?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 500 bulb replacement?

Has anyone tried to replace the bulb in 500s rather than do the full-blown HID conversion? I decided to give it a shot with cheapo H3 Xenon bulbs from ebay to see how they do. Worst case I will do a DDM conversion in a few weeks.

Got the idea from here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...tml#post233945

Hella bulbs:http://www.amazon.com/Hella-H7107018.../dp/B000CO7N3Q
Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I used these:
http://store.candlepower.com/naraulhiou551.html

Helped a bit from stock, but to be honest, I find them not any brighter than my Sylvania Silverstars on hi-beam.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well lets see if higher power bulbs are better.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
higher wattage bulbs do run brighter and often die much faster
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Addicted

Tossed them in tonight. Takes 5 min per light. Plug and play.

Definitely a much brighter setup. Can't really tell yet if they are reaching further, but they are definitely fuller and way brighter. Also since its not yellow like the stock bulbs its way easier to see. Totally worth 7$ and 10 min. Very glad I did this instead of HID as that would have been overkill for my uses.

Products Discussed in this Thread