1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose bulbs in headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sparkystaco, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    tryed to adjust my headlights last night,,,, turned the 8mm bolts forever and didn't see any movment in the beam, then I reached around back of the lites and could move the bulbs in the headlite with my finger which would change the beam pattern aren't they supposed to be tight

2. May 20, 2022 at 10:28 PM
    BindCreek

BindCreek New Member

Member:
    Hi. Just noticed same thing on my 2010. Did you ever resolve issue?

3. May 20, 2022 at 10:44 PM
    Wyckedan

Wyckedan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Woodinville WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Stormtrooper AC 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s.
    1 fully operational Death Star
    12 year old thread. That might be a record. Just get new housings

4. May 21, 2022 at 10:13 AM
    Toy_Runner

Toy_Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5
    3" OME lift, heavy coils f/r 3/16" steel skids Modified Coastal Offroad diy bumper 5spd swap ('98 donor)
    2010, 2nd gen. So you have 9003/H4 bulbs. They should lock in fairly tight/securely. I would doublecheck that the bulb(s) in question are inserted correctly and rotated until they're locked in place. The H4/9003 *Should* only be able to rotate and lock into the reflector *one way,* but I have managed to get one "locked in" rotated 120ish degrees off, which had a pretty noticeable effect on the beam pattern.

"Loose bulbs" and "bulb shake" seem to be more of a 3rd gen headlamp issue, more noticeable when people have either HIDs or LED retrofit bulbs with a large heatsink. Halogen bulbs, either H9's or H11's don't seem to have enough mass hanging off the back of them to let the bulb waggle around in the gasket seal.

Also, as far as headlamp aim, make sure you're using the correct aiming adjuster (should be the lower one, further down on the lamp) as the tacoma lamps have both vertical and horizontal aim adjusters. The horizontal aim adjustment is not legal per SAE standards/DOT regs, so its covered with a removeable cap. If you're actually turning the adjuster and not seeing any vertical change, you may be wall/cross-eyeing your headlamp instead.

And just to pimp Dan Sterns excellent website, here is his excellent article on how to Properly/most effectively aim your headlamps/fogs/driving lights.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Products Discussed in

To Top