Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Side Turn Signal Repeaters / Markers Mod

Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Side Turn Signal Repeaters / Markers Mod

I always felt that the taco would benefit from side turn signals and I didn't want to mess with making the running light do double duty as alternating flashers. I wanted something different so I added some axillary turn signals on the flank (side). It really helps. Drivers on my side can see my intentions and they seem to GTFO the way much quicker now.

If you're going to do this mod it's probably a good idea to read up on vehicle codes for your State. If you have DTRL and you perform this mod, the LED's will behave the same way because it's the same circuit.

Parts for the mod
  1. 2 x 12v LED modules yellow (waterproof)
  2. 12' split wire loom
  3. vinyl electrical tape.
  4. solder and soldering iron
  5. 12' hookup wire
  6. wire stripping tool
  7. Liquid Tape
  8. 4 x quick splices
Step #1 Prepare your LED and harness.

Solder the leads of the LED module to 6' of hookup wire. I state 6' but when everything is said and done your new harness will probably use 5' of wire. Protect the connections with heat-shrink and then a couple coats of liquid tape, which should make the connection waterproof.

Next put the wire into split wire loom. Leave the LED with about 3" of wire out one end.
Wrap the split wire loom with the vinyl electrical tape.

Now, take the end of the harness with the LED on it. You will want to seal the end of the split wire loom with liquid tape. This should make it impervious to water. Stuff some material into the end of split wire loom to build a base if you want to. I found a rubber grommet that worked well but anything should do. Now apply liberally several coats of liquid tape. Read the bottle for instructions.
When it cures it will be waterproof.

Step #2 Prepare your truck

Open your drivers side door and look at the weather stripping between the body and front quarter panel. Grab it at the top and peel this back so you can make a passageway between the door hinge and the top of the engine bay. It's actually pretty perfect (the route of the harness).

Next protect the LED with some vinyl tape during install. Route your new wire harness accordingly. To get the LED module to the door hinge area through the engine bay you'll need a pull/push stick. I used a very stiff wire as a push stick.

Push the LED to its location and remove the stick.

I used some alcohol to clean the paint and when it vaporized I affixed the LED to the trucks surface just below the first crease in the fender.

The LED comes with 3M adhesive tape so its very durable and well suited for an exterior connection.

Once the LED is mounted push the excess wire and wire harness behind the weather stripping. Pull the excess back into the engine bay if you have to. Now push back the weather stripping back into it's original location. You should now have about 1.5" of black wire that pokes around the weather stripping. It should look super clean.

Step #2 Splice into the factory harness.

Locate the factory harness for your turn signal.

Unravel the electrical tape and expose the wires.

The blue is +12V and the black/white is ground. Tap into the wires. I used a quick splice but before I put the wires into it, I dropped a bunch of liquid tape into it before I pressed the connection closed. When it cures I presume this would make it waterproof. It was a bit messy but it worked. I had some 2" split wire loom laying around and I used about 6" to protect my splices, I then sealed it up with a fresh wrap of vinyl tape. It looks bombproof.

Step #3 Test your new side turn signal.

The hazard switch is a good way to test your new turn signals. Hopefully all is good.

Step #4 Repeat on the passenger side.

Here is a picture of the passenger side aux / side marker wire harness wire path.

Videos:

My camera does not do well in the dark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1nwRMtb3vg

Credit:

I'd like to thank Wing103 for his willingness to share long after he'd completed his mod.

LED
module uses 6 PLCC-2 style surface mount LEDs with a wide 110 degree viewing angle. Specs: Current draw: 80 mA Length: 2.25", Width:0.375", Height:0.25"

They're very bright and I'm very happy with them.

UPDATE JULY 2010

After several months of lots of sunshine and lots of 100° F + heat I can tell you that the LED's are holding up very well. They have yellowed slightly due to the UV exposure, but I expect them to be fine.

UPDATE JULY 2012

After two years they're still working like the first day I installed them.

Here are some more pictures of the finished product.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
whoa cool!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Looks good! I'll be waiting for pics of how you mounted to the truck. I can sorta visualize it, but close up pics would be cool.

Will have to look at the wiring some more to figure out how it'll work with my alternating turn signals.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
TACO SUPREME
c0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK1/E-6
Name: Dennis
c0astie31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to c0astie31
it will flash the same way he has shown, unless you flip the connections aeound then it will flash the same as the corner light.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I've seen one that mounts to the back side of the mirrors on the doors, but they are big. These are small, but very bright. Nice BTW, where did you get the LEDs??
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Crom, great mod. Can you show us a close up picture of the new light taken during the day? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Primersinmyshoe, I have updated the OP with some recent photos. Hopefully that is what you wanted. Let me know if you have more questions. Aside from my sliders, this has been my favorite mod to my truck.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks good. Will they stay on the the DTRL though?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #9

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Looks good. Will they stay on the the DTRL though?
See quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
If you have DTRL and you perform this mod, the LED's will behave the same way because it's the same circuit.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
See quote below.
I missed it. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
oooooh

nice!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Banned
I had a thought about these. People that have DTRL can just tap into the rear signal wires so these side marker lights don't stay on all the time.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Very nicely done.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #15

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I had a thought about these. People that have DTRL can just tap into the rear signal wires so these side marker lights don't stay on all the time.
This is definitely possible and I think it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeyD View Post
nicee i was thinking of putting something like those on after i get new fiberglass fenders.. so the light would stick out more and therefore tell drivers HEY I'm Coming!!
I think they do help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Very nicely done.
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
OutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
OutbackHack's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I missed where it was posted, but where did you get those LED modules? They look nicer than most I've seen.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackHack View Post
Maybe I missed where it was posted, but where did you get those LED modules? They look nicer than most I've seen.
I'd PM him. I want to know as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #18

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I got them from here: http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

They're holding up pretty good. The UV light from the sun is starting to degrade the epoxy they are encased in but they still look and function very well.

If anyone knows of a cheap reliable UV clear coat that can be applied please let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Cool i like lighting projects!!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
OutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
OutbackHack's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, just ordered a pair and can't wait to install them.

I've used 303 UV treatment on my kayaks for years and plan on using it on my soft-top now that I have it on my truck full time. Seems to work and it's fairly cheap.