LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

is there a such thing as a good failure?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
mr smitty is on a distinguished road
mr smitty's Tacoma Gallery
is there a such thing as a good failure?

I did the foglight mod on my truck about 2 weeks ago from some toyota nation instructions. It said to cut a red and black striped wire and splice it to a light green wire leading to the light relay. This caused my truck to end up break down 2 days after I completed the mod. Inspection showed the battery was drained so I assumed the alternator or something drained the battery. Once I got home I tested the engine and found that the alternator was not running while on the mod. I immediatley changed everything back and im running fine now
Im 16 years old and all this taucght me a ton about the truck could this bad mod be a success in a way?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Tools/items needed:
  • wire stripper
  • 1 quick splice
  • 1 female blade connector
  • 6" of wire
  • drill/bit same diameter as wire
  • shrink tube/electrical tape to reinforce crimp connection (optional)
  1. Locate the green wire on the plug in the pic
  2. splice into it
  3. run the wire to the fog light relay through a hole to keep it low and not hit the cover
  4. crimp on the female blade connector onto the wire
  5. pull the fog relay and bend the terminal in the pic to the side
  6. put the female blade connector onto the bent terminal on the fog relay
  7. replace fog relay

Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
When I first got my truck, my cousin told me some info on mods. He said that before you do one, ask yourself, "What's the worst possible thing that could happen if I completely screw this up."

If you are comfortable and ok with the worst case scenario, then do it.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Do what rossK35 said in post #2. I did this same mod and I even personally created/documented the electrical diagram for this mod because none existed. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-diagrams.html

I also followed some advice from TN about making the inverter run at 400W all the time and it was very bad advice. TW for the win!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Obviously you did not do it right.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Obviously you did not do it right.
I floowed the exact instructions
Thats not what went wrong
Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smitty View Post
I floowed the exact instructions
Thats not what went wrong
Sadly- I have to agree with Viet. Something didn't get done right....cause there is no way that someone would leave incorrect instructions for a mod posted in a "How-to" thread.

Give the alternative method posted up above a try.

And I would say it's a good learning experience-At least you see that you can return it to how it was if it doesn't work out right. Good luck!!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
To answer the question in your header... I believe there is. You didn't do permanent damage to your truck, you didn't hurt yourself or anybody else.. If you learned something from this mistake then I'd say it was a 'good failure.'

I agree with Viet and Brunes about following the directions in the original thread, though. If the instructions were flawed, then the thread where you got them would be full of "this mod killed my truck" posts. I've screwed up on the directions of plenty of mods when I tried the first time. Don't be offended by somebody pointing it out. It happens.

At least you didn't do this.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
I did the suggested mod and it works now thanks for the help