Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Attempting the bed light mod...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Experience_Life is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Staff Sergeant, Weapons Loader on B-1 & F-15
Experience_Life's Tacoma Gallery
Attempting the bed light mod...

Alright, i'm stuck. I enclosed every wire w/ wire loom & used zip ties, ran the wire through the grommet under the seat & along the sides of the truck back to the actual light wires in the bed. The connection from the switch inside the cab to the battery works (lights up when flipped on), but i'm having problems from the main power cable to each of the lights. When I turn the switch on & connect each wire, the lights don't turn on. My guess is a bad ground maybe? I'm an amateur @ this, but decided to give it a shot. Any advice would be helpful.

And yes, I've looked @ the threads that talk about this lol!!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
I actually don't have fuses going to each light. If that's needed, that might be where the problem is. The only fuse I installed is attached to the hookup by the battery. I just bought the lights a few days back & started the install that same day.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Are you using a relay, or running the power through the switch? Some more details about how you have it wired up would also be helpful.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Here are a few pics of how I have it wired. If this is wrong/different then please let me know as I went off of my opinion of how it should go....

Starting @ the battery w/ fuse installed...

Next is the grommet...

Up through the cab...

Continued (notice you can see where I grounded the switch on the side)

Up to the switch (which is just used to test, getting another one)

This is how I wired it from the grommet to the back of the truck & to the lights

Any advice would be appreciated. I am an amateur @ all of this, so please be nice hahaha! Thank you all for your help!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
my guess could be that the ground you used there isn't a real ground, or that the switch is wired incorrectly. When i've wired things in the cab, i havent been very lucky finding a ground. I ended up grounding the wire inside next to the shifter under the cupholder.

(lemme know if you'd like me to snap some pics for ya)

I'd check how the switch is wired and make sure the correct wires are goin to the correct areas. and maybe move that ground
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Jefferson....after scratching my head a thousand times yesterday & taking your advice to yet again do the same thing....i double checked it & it finally works. The ground I used under the dash is a good ground, I just had the wires hooked up wrong. Knew it had to be a stupid mistake. Ugh, amazing how you can miss things when you're "in the moment" haha! Thanks again for your help & i will post pics when I finish the installation.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job Experience!

Is the electrical tape just a temporary install until you got the lights working? Curious because that probably won't stay on there long like that.

Where did you run the wiring out of the cab and to the bed?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I've done this install as well. My only tip (its to late now) would have been to use black wire loom. I guess that just me being anal.

Also, I just grounded to the frame. Look in your rear wheel wells and you'll see a bunch of stuff grounded to the frame.

For reference, my cardomain has a half-ass write up to how I did it:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569025/5
Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experience_Life View Post
Jefferson....after scratching my head a thousand times yesterday & taking your advice to yet again do the same thing....i double checked it & it finally works. The ground I used under the dash is a good ground, I just had the wires hooked up wrong. Knew it had to be a stupid mistake. Ugh, amazing how you can miss things when you're "in the moment" haha! Thanks again for your help & i will post pics when I finish the installation.
ah great job! Wiring is easy if you take your time and think logically how power flows through. Glad you figured it out!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Nice job Experience!

Is the electrical tape just a temporary install until you got the lights working? Curious because that probably won't stay on there long like that.

Where did you run the wiring out of the cab and to the bed?
Yeah, that was just to keep the wire out of the way & to make sure I was running it right. I'm fixing it later. Just about done! About the wire loom, I totally agree with you on that. I was in a hurry & no shops in town had anymore black wire loom. I hid & secured the wires pretty well though, so they shouldn't pop out where I would look like white trash driving a Taco hahah!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Finally done!! Thanks for the help guys!!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Great job! I love my bed lights. I used LED strips that are tucked under the cleat rails and not really noticeable. I also put a switch in the bed and in the cab. Took a bit more wiring but I can turn it on in the cab then off in the bed (or vice versa). Pretty cool.

Anyway, I was going to recommend that you check the fuse. Mine was blown and I started ripping everything apart looking for the problem. Should've checked that first!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Decided to keep the stock fittings, so I just took an exacto knife to it & cut out a slot for the mini rocker switch I picked up @ O'Reilly's

Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Great job! I love my bed lights. I used LED strips that are tucked under the cleat rails and not really noticeable. I also put a switch in the bed and in the cab. Took a bit more wiring but I can turn it on in the cab then off in the bed (or vice versa). Pretty cool.

Anyway, I was going to recommend that you check the fuse. Mine was blown and I started ripping everything apart looking for the problem. Should've checked that first!
Eric, can you share what strip you used? I wanted to do the exact thing, use LED's, and a double switch setup.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man doing mine very soon to, I can say find a better place to zip the wire loom up to before it falls and wrecks all your hard work.