Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

fx-r retrofit help needed

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
fx-r retrofit help needed

going to start doing a projector retrofit using the fx-r projectors. will any of the shrouds from trs work with my taco headlights or is the gatling the best option?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Call Matt, most work with modification, some needling less mod than others. The Gatling, according to Matt, needs the least. I went with the Gatling for that reason and I like the looks of it!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
as long as the shroud fits the projector, you can trim down the bottoms to match the headlights
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
yea i know im going to have to trim but i dont want to get shrouds that are too short or wont cover the fx-r
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

that's true. keep in mind you can adjust where you mount your projectors though so if your shrouds are a bit too short you can back up your projectors. just make sure the shrouds you get are compatible with your projectors by looking at their compatibility on the site
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
thanks gentlemen.. fun begins monday when i take my first set of headlights apart. i have 2 sets for my retro.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #7

it's a journey for sure...lots of frustration followed by suspense, build up, failure, then sure enough you'll get it right be sure to post pics of the process! and ask if you need any help!!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
i know the frustration will be there but im not in a rush since i dont have to remove the set currently on my taco. doesnt seem so difficult after looking thru all the write ups. i dont think i will have that much trouble. i will try to snap some pics as i go.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
ok i got the first set of headlights taken apart. took me about 3 mins to pry them apart, was pretty easy. now my question for you guys is... i mount the projector directly centered in the bowl correct? if i get them centered in the bowl then adjusting will be as easy as turning the screws once the lights are mounted? and should the 4 corners of the projector touch the bowl, just lightly tighten the 4 screws and use epoxy?

my projectors will be here this week so my fun should start this weekend. oh and also how do i get the bowl off the headlight back cover? i dont want to break them.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Yes centered and secured in the bowl as well as you can. To take the bowl out just keep turning the adjustment knobs you use to adjust the headlight (do a little on each rather than just backing each all the way out on it's own). You should see the bowl seperating from the back of the headlight assembly, but it will be held on by a white plastic ball piece attached to the bowl by a female connector on the bowl. Carefully pull them apart to seperate them.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #11

all 4 of my corners touch, not sure how others have it. i didn't use epoxy, just loctite..so i can add/remove/change stuff around easier if i need to