Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2005 Toyota Tacoma HVAC dash lights burned out

Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Geo2199 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeovanni
Geo2199's Tacoma Gallery
2005 Toyota Tacoma HVAC dash lights burned out

I have a 2005 toyota tacoma and just recently the dash lights that illumintae the HVAC controls on the fan selection went out. Not the bulbs that illumintae the fan speed or temperature, but the ones that illuminate which direction the fan blows. For example like the defroster, feet, and face selection button.

I was tryin to look around the dash to take it apart but couldnt find any screws anywhere near there to take it apart or in the glovebox . Has anyone ever replaced this bulb before on there 2005+ tacoma? If so, how did you go about taking the dash apart and changing the light bulbs?

I desperately need this fixed because its so dark at night time without the light on that part of the dash that i have to use the light from my cell phone just to illuminate it, which is very dangerous. Especially on dark two lane coutry roads while towing my trailer with all my equipment.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Executive of Nothing.
Agent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the rough

Agent7's Tacoma Gallery
The whole hvac unit is a press in, meaning if you slide a butter knife or some other dull flat surface under it, it should just pop out. As far as the lights go, there is only actually 2 lights that illuminate all of the orange background. So once you pop out the unit, you'll have access to the twist in bulbs that are there.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Geo2199 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeovanni
Geo2199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent7 View Post
The whole hvac unit is a press in, meaning if you slide a butter knife or some other dull flat surface under it, it should just pop out. As far as the lights go, there is only actually 2 lights that illuminate all of the orange background. So once you pop out the unit, you'll have access to the twist in bulbs that are there.
I was able to take it out. I took out the black plastic piece under the a/c vent and reached into the dash and popped it out. Once I popped it out I took off the silver piece that surrounds the dials. But when I tried to take the white piece off the back of the dials by unscrewing them to get to the lights I wasn't able to undue the four tabs that hold them together. Even after I broke 2 of the tabs that hold them together. Is there anyway I can get to the lights without removing the back white plastic piece?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo2199 View Post
I was able to take it out. I took out the black plastic piece under the a/c vent and reached into the dash and popped it out. Once I popped it out I took off the silver piece that surrounds the dials. But when I tried to take the white piece off the back of the dials by unscrewing them to get to the lights I wasn't able to undue the four tabs that hold them together. Even after I broke 2 of the tabs that hold them together. Is there anyway I can get to the lights without removing the back white plastic piece?
There are two bulbs that light it. there is no need to take the climate controls apart to get them out. you can see two round things on the back with a slot in it for a screwdriver. twist them with a screwdriver and they come right out.