Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

brighter reverse lights? mabye?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
brighter reverse lights? mabye?

ok, i couldnt decide wether to put this in lighting or towing questions, so lighting it is.

i have a 2010 tacoma 2wd preerunner sr5 without the towing package so i dont have a trailer wire.

i just got window tint(very dark) and i find it hard to back into my garage at night.

i was sitting around at work, and was wondering if i could put some white fog lights under the truck that would come on with my reverse lights so i could see a little better out of the back window when im backing up.
i didnt want to really destroy my factory wiring harness though.

so i was wondering if i could get a trailer wiring kit, wire it to the vehicle like normal, and then just plug some lights into it under the bed... do standard 4 pin trailer wiring kits have a reverse light feature?

if not, what would i need to make this work?

is it even worth bothering to do?

and no, the tint isnt going to be taken off....
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think 4-pin trailer plugs have a reverse light. I would put a relay inside the rear fender like behind the tail light. I tryed running reverse lights on the factory wirering and it blow the fuse.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
if you look in the sticky you can find the bulb # avd just replace it with a higher watt bulb or rig an H3 bulb in there.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have 55w fog lights mounted in factory holes under my rear bumper. They work great for me. I don't have aftermarket tint, but there are no street lights where I live, and I cannot see with just the factory lights.

For install, I ran a 12awg wire with a 15amp fuse off of the battery, through a relay and all the way to the back of the truck. I used a T-tap on the reverse light wire located in the driver's kick panel and mounted a single pole double throw switch in the dash. The other side of the switch is tapped into the parking light circuit. This gives three options: Lights on with factory reverse lights, lights on with parking lights (prevents leaving them on), and lights off.

You could strip and solder your wires then tape if you are worried about them coming loose, but I have had no problems with t-taps as long as they are correctly sized and out of the weather. They would not be my choice for anything that is required for the truck to run, but they work fine for a non-critical item.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
As for the trailer light kit, there is such a thing as a five pin flat. The fifth pin is reverse lights and is used for locking out surge brakes on a boat trailer so you can back up. I do not know if there is a direct plug in wiring kit with the five pin flat.

Either way, the actual power wire for your auxillary reverse lights will have to come direct from the battery. Factory reverse light circuit likely won't handle the additional 9 amps or so that a set of 55w lights will draw.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
No backup camera in your '10?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, man, I don't have a 2nd gen or a hitch, but I adapted a hitch-mount reverse light kit that just taps into existing taillight wiring. They come on when you put it in reverse (vampire tap to the reverse lamp) If you have/can fab mounting points, you could probably use this pretty easily. Cost about $35. I have no idea what is available for mounting points under a 2nd gen's ass end, but I am sure you can make it work...

I can see so much better behind me at night...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...d-writeup.html