1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxiliary Lighting Opinion

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rmarqu2, May 4, 2010.

1. May 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 [OP] YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    Hey ya'll I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and have been doing some searching on the matter but need some specifics. Here goes:

1. I'm getting an all-pro front bumper soon. Want to put two 8'' lights on the light bar. I want to go with KC lights (either slimlights or rally 800 series). Any suggestions on what type on beam to put (driving, fog, long-range)? Mostly plan on doing trail riding.

2. I want to do something like twisted rage5 (mad props:cool:) did on his rig and fab something similar. Again, any suggestions on what type of beam for those?

I'm thinking long range on the sides and driving in the front..... but it's hard to really get an idea having not seen the differences in these beams first hand. Any help/opinions greatly appreciated!!!

2. May 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    well if your gonna do 4 lights get 2 long range and 2 driving.

if your gonna get 2 lights go for the "euro" beam if they offer them, they will shine farther than your driving lights but will have a wider pattern than the long range ones

3. May 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    rmarqu2

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    Should I put the long ranges by the side mirrors or on the front bumper?

4. May 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Long range/ pencil beams are for higher speed driving and project about the width of the road way way out there. Best mounted higher up, otherwise on the grille.

Driving/ Euro beams are a wider oval pattern, much like you stock lights, but naturally brighter if 100 watt halogen, HID, or LED. Best mounted on your grille or bumper.

Fog/ Cornering beams, are super wide, short distance light that put the beam right in front of your truck and go wide to easch side. Best mounted on or below the bumper.

Combinations of all three would be great, but that may not be needed depending on your driving.

Since I already have stock headlights for closer in, and I wanted distance in the desert, I went with a pair of pencil beams.

5. May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    ^^^ great post! that's the first time i've really seen it explained that well and that simply

6. May 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    rmarqu2

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    Couldn't have asked for a better response. Definately "sticky-worthy" IMO.

Does anyone have any experiences/friends with KC rally 800's?

7. May 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Thanks guys! I do like to take the complicated and make it easy! See my 9 drive modes and related post link below on the new Tacoma traction choices, for example!

I love off roading, the desert and BAJA... So, I have had many years playing off road (even raced the Baja 1000 back in '79)... I think it is a blast, and am happy it is still going strong!

Products Discussed in

To Top