Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID Questions

Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
HID Questions

Okay, I've been doing a fair amount of research on lighting, and have decided that going HID might be a great option to achieve what I'm looking for. Thanks to those of you who have led me on to DDM's website!

First and foremost, I don't want to get into trouble with "the man." Will all temps of HID be illegal? It seems that I've read something to this effect, but nothing conclusive. I'm not looking to change the headlight color drastically, but I want to get some longer range. There are lots of deer and elk in my part of the country, and I do most long road-tripping in the night-time hours.

It looks like 55w are the way to go for headlights, is 55w too hot for the fogs? If I go 35w in the same temp, will they appear to be the same color? I'm considering going with 6000K for the headlights.

Can anyone confirm these selections to be correct?
Headlights: H4 Hi/Lo (1 set)
Fogs: H10 (1 set)

Thanks for all of your help. I'm really looking forward to getting this set up!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The fact is HIDs that didn't come on the vehicle from the factory are illegal. I wouldn't use a 55 watt kit because 35 watt is already brighter than stock. 6000K will look a bit blue but the beam is white. H4 and H10 is correct.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The fact is HIDs that didn't come on the vehicle from the factory are illegal. I wouldn't use a 55 watt kit because 35 watt is already brighter than stock. 6000K will look a bit blue but the beam is white. H4 and H10 is correct.
So any HIDs tha I put on the Tacoma would be illegal? Yikes.

Is it common to get picked up and ticketed for HIDs? I really don't know the ins and outs of the legal issues with HIDs, and I'll certainly stay away if it would cause issue.

I appreciate the info, but you're bumming me out here...
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
So any HIDs tha I put on the Tacoma would be illegal? Yikes.

Is it common to get picked up and ticketed for HIDs? I really don't know the ins and outs of the legal issues with HIDs, and I'll certainly stay away if it would cause issue.

I appreciate the info, but you're bumming me out here...
It all depends on your area and kit you use. If you go around with purple lights then you will probably get pulled over. If you go around blinding everyone with a 55 watt kit that isn't aimed properly then you might get pulled over.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
i have 55w headlights and 35w fogs of a different color, had 55w for two years never been a problem with cops, even got an inspection and passed with em, on hilly roads you do get flashed high beams a lot though
Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It all depends on your area and kit you use. If you go around with purple lights then you will probably get pulled over. If you go around blinding everyone with a 55 watt kit that isn't aimed properly then you might get pulled over.
Okay, well neither of those two things should be an issue. I don't want a drastically different from stock color. On top of that, I'll ensure that they are aimed properly, just as I had to reaim my stock lights after I installed my 3" lift.

I'm not out to blind people... I don't want to be that guy. However, my last trip through ID was spent at ~35mph as it was dark out and fawn season. I had a number of close calls, and having a bit more warning certainly would have been helpful! Those little buggers are fast!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
the setup that you have is the right set up.
But you have to adjust the headlight to aim it down a little bit. so that will not blind people.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
I have DDM 35W 5000 headlights that are aimed properly and they still bother other drivers, particularly when I'm behind them at traffic lights. I'll be switching back to stock or attepting a Retro mod soon. The 4500 color is closest to stock, but still much brighter. 55W is a bad idea for street use IMO.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
huh...

This has been enlightening (no pun intended)

Maybe I'll just go back to the idea of getting some offroad lights behind the grill and determine at a later time if I'll put the HID mod into them. I want the added light for night, but I don't want to be a bother to people in town, either.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
Thats probably the best idea. I have a three Euro Beam Hella 4000s on a lighbar that I'm in the process of converting to DDM 55W 4500 HIDs. Stock headlights with the Hella conversion should be pleanty bright for dark roads around here. I like the HID headlights a lot but it's not worth blinding others in cars. The reflectors in the stock lens simply isn't designed for HID light.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods247 View Post
Thats probably the best idea. I have a three Euro Beam Hella 4000s on a lighbar that I'm in the process of converting to DDM 55W 4500 HIDs. Stock headlights with the Hella conversion should be pleanty bright for dark roads around here. I like the HID headlights a lot but it's not worth blinding others in cars. The reflectors in the stock lens simply isn't designed for HID light.
Thanks,

That actually just saved me a fair amount of money. I'm certain that I would have put them in and felt the same way. I drive in Denver, so I spend a bit of time behind other vehicles.

I only really need brighter lights for highway driving and/or offroad at night. I'm no desert racer, but I'm frequently on roads that other critters call home. I've been fortunate enough thus far not to smack one, but I've verified that my brakes are operational quite a number of times!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I'd been looking at converting a set of 500s. I can't seem to get good information on the differences between the 4000s / 1000s / 500s, but it seems that most people are satisfied with the 500s from what I've seen.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Goshawk's Tacoma Gallery
While we are on HID lighting I just installed them in my high beam side, (have after market projector), and notice that there is roughly a 1 1/2 second delay before they come to full power. Is this just the nature of the beast having to wait for the gas to fully ignite or is there something else going on?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
While we are on HID lighting I just installed them in my high beam side, (have after market projector), and notice that there is roughly a 1 1/2 second delay before they come to full power. Is this just the nature of the beast having to wait for the gas to fully ignite or is there something else going on?
1 1/2? It should take about a minute to become optimal. This is why you don't see factory cars with HIDs in the high beams. When you use your high beams, you either flash someone, or use them to see down the road. That is not enough time for them to be ready.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
its the nature of the beast when you do cheap PNP kits in aftermarket setup w/ separate low/hi aftermarket projectors.

OEM bi-xenon projector setups (hi/low in same projector) have a shield that will drop, therefore letting light above the cutoff for the highs. its the same bulb, therefore it is always lit, low or high.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #18
Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Goshawk's Tacoma Gallery
Highbeam HID

Thanks for the replies and better understanding concerning the HID lighting. Although they are still an aftermarket set-up and I don'thave the ability to flash an oncoming car I still like the fact that I can light up the world and see that stupid deer before it becomes a hood orniment.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Putting a Xenon bulb in a halogen housing is illegal in all 50 states. I pull people over for HIDs. The easiest thing to remember as a police officer is NO pickups have HIDs factory installed. Tall trucks with HIDs also blind people the most. I can spot a projector vs a reflector based HID system pretty easily. I would not write a ticket for a retrofit projector. The bulb, ballast, reflector, etc are all DOT approved items. While the end result is debateable I could never convince a jury it was illegal and feel quite confident I could convince a jury my set up was legal if I got pulled over with a projector retrofit that used DOT approved parts.

Id do a projector retrofit all day long and feel safe. I would not reccomend a simple bulb swap into a halogen reflector housing.

Now that said MOST tickets will be fix it tickets for impropper head lamp. It takes 2 minutes to swap bulbs and move your plugs to get halogens back in. Then you pay a $15 court cost and put the illegal HID back in... this is the primary reason I dont like HID tickets. Its as pointless as a no front plate ticket.