LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

newb lightforce questions

Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb newb lightforce questions

thinking about getting 2 lightforce 140 lance lights to fit on my avid offroad bar. i do not yet have factory fogs. what kind of light output should i expect? are these too bright to use on the street (spot/wide/combo/dispersion)? which should i get and why? anything else to consider? i already bought some PIAA 520 ATP's but they do not fit on this light bar.

here is a pic. red dots show where light tabs are on opposite side. lights will hang below top bar (pendant). lame chrome grill already swapped for colormatched.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Banned
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
I would personally go bigger, but I got my pair of 240's on sale for about the price of the 170's. The 240's are pretty awesome, at least for driving empty highways. I have them hooked into use with my hi beams if I want, and they are great.

After using the 240's, the 170's are kind of a let down. We have a lot of work trucks with them, and they don't seem to do well. However (a big however), they are treated very roughly and are often not aimed properly, which obviously severely affects their usability.

The place I bought my 240's from told me they were about as bright as four 170's. The plain covers are very spot-like. I have the combo covers, and even they are pretty spot-ish. I don't think you can get combo covers in the 140's, so I would suggest getting one wide cover and leaving the other for spot (unless you are only doing slower or off-hiway driving).

Lightforce isn't really a flood light for off road slow driving terrain, but they are absolutely fantastic for high speed on the highway and such (with no oncoming traffic, of course).
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
Its a matter of what you plan on doing. If you don't run at night at high-speed, 140s are a nice enhancement/filler light. Plus you can always try different fitlers too. I don't really wheel at night much but I am contemplating on adding a pair of 240s to the front bumper since they cut their prices.

Sierra Expeditions is a great vendor for them too.