Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

burning out alternator

Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
burning out alternator

I was thinkong of getting 2 off road driving lights then 2 more fog lights, all about 55w. someone told me that running all 4 of those will burn out my alternator in a hurry. is this true? has anyone else heard of that?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
I was thinkong of getting 2 off road driving lights then 2 more fog lights, all about 55w. someone told me that running all 4 of those will burn out my alternator in a hurry. is this true? has anyone else heard of that?
Naw.... You will be fine.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerseth View Post
naw.... You will be fine.
x2.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
good to go. i have two sets of offroad lights (roof and bull bar) and another set of smaller auxilary lights in the bed. with them all turned on it draws abotu 30 amps (i installed an ampere meter). i obviously don't drive with the bed lights on, but i have the off road lights on on a regular basis. no problems after 3 years
Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
So a higher output alternator isn't neccesary? I will be fine running 4 aux lights, head lights, and factory fogs?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Like everybody else said, no problem and here's why.

Each 55w light will draw about 4.6 DC amps each. In total for all four lights your going to have an addition load of 18.4 Amps.

Our trucks heater fuse is 50 amps. So in theory you could add up to 6-7 x 55w lights to your truck and it would be the equivalent of running your heater on full blast. Although your heater probably only draws 25-30 amps under normal circumstances. It's just that the fuse is 50A.

If you have the tow package you have a 140 Amp alternator, if you don't then you have a 120 amp alternator.

When you wire your lights up, you should use a 10amp fuse on each light.

I hope that helps you.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
First Class White Trash

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Do they make aternators bigger than 140amps for the Tacoma? If so how much are they and where can I get them