Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID relay H3 bulb

Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
HID relay H3 bulb

I've installed HIDs before and know how to do all that, but i haven't used an H3 kit before. I have an aftermarket amp-meter in the center console that I run all of my aftermarket stuff through just to keep tabs on it. I'm in the process of drawing up a wireing digram that i can follow when i install HIDs in my off road lights, but i'm missing one piece of info. Do the H3 kits use a relay, or is that just for the high/low finction on the H4s?

Thanks,
Colin
Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump since i'm getting off work
Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Don't see why they would use a relay excepting of course the one that you used in the initial install for the lights.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
02isGTE is on a distinguished road
02isGTE's Tacoma Gallery
generally H3 HID kits dont use relays. from what i have seen usually they just consist of a ballast and sometimes the HID igniter will be external. usually the relays are for the high/lows. so H3 kits are straight forward PnP. hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
MC1983 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MC1983's Tacoma Gallery
How much current does the kit draw? Might be a good idea to run a relay just to play it safe.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

thanks guys!

from what i've been able to find online, on start up, the amperage can spike pretty high (around 20 amps), but then settles very quickly to about 2.5 to 3 amps. might go test this on my headlights when i get a chance. if i can't find a switch i like with a 20 amp or greater rating, i'll use a relay. i was just wondering if the harnes came prewired with one like the high/lows do. thanks for answering my question!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
I always run a fuse in front of everything else just for the peace of mind and convenience. Why nuke a 13$ switch?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
I always run a fuse in front of everything else just for the peace of mind and convenience. Why nuke a 13$ switch?
oh no, i ALWAYS run a fuse...i actually just installed an aftermarket fuse block with 12 extra fuse spots. it's just the relay i'm wondering about. i know how to use relays and all, i was just trying to figure out if the h3 bulbs came with them prewired in the harness
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
possi16 is on a distinguished road
possi16's Tacoma Gallery
H3 HID kits

I just purcHASED A KIT FROM ********** IT DID NOT COME WITH ANY WIRING RELAY.. i AM GOING TO INSTALL THIS KIT ON SOME kc SLIMLITES , ALONG WITH MY HEADLIGHT THAT i CONVERTED ALREADY , H4 4300K LOW/HIGH BEAM , WHICH WORK GREAT. I REPLACED THE H3 BULBS IN THE KC'S WITH PIAA 4300K AND I CAN SAY VERY GOOD RESULTS.

** THIS THE PART WERE I AM HAVING PROBLEMS, PRIOR TO MY HID UPGRADE ON THE HEAD LIGHTS , MY KC/PIAA SLIMLITES ARE INSTALL WITH A RELAY ETC... WHICH ARE WIRED TO TURN WHEN I TURN ON THE HIGH BEAM ALONG WITH SWITCH TO DISABLE IF NEEDED. FOR MY SELF I DO LOTS OF DRIVING IN BAJA, AND USING THIS SETUP ALLOWS ME TO RUN MY LIGHTS AND NOT EFFECT ON COMING TRAFFIC.

*** AFTER MY HID UPGARDE ON HEAD LIGHTS MY KC/PIAA DON'T WORK ANY MORE. REASON IS ONE OF MY HEADLIGHT FACTORY PLUG IS NOT IN USE. SO MY 12VOLTS GO'S -12V WHEN I HIT MY HIGH BEAM. SINCE I WAS GOING FISHING TO LORETO BAJA THE NEXT DAY , I HAD TO PLACE ONE OF MY OLD H4 BULBS INSIDE BEHIND MY HEADLIGHT TO RECOVER MY KC/PIAA'S****

FYI LIGHT OUTPUT ON MY HEADLIGHT AND KC/PIAA LIGHTS ARE BALANCED NOW .. NICE

ANY IDEA'S SO I CAN GET THAT H4 OUT. BOUGHT RESISTOR PLACED ON THE SIDE WHERE THE H4 BULB IS AT NO GOOD.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
possi16 is on a distinguished road
possi16's Tacoma Gallery
H3 HID KIT

2003 TACOMA CREW CAB 4 X4
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome POSSI. I do not have answer but try not to bastardize other people's threads and avoid using caps unless you are yelling. Your best bet to get your question answered is to start a thread describing your issue.