1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY LED light under hood / Engine bay

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 619Tacoma, May 22, 2010.

1. May 22, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma [OP] Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    So this is my first real contribution to the site. This is not a VERY detailed description and DIY tutorial to installing an LED flood light to the underside of the hood. I didn't take many pictures but will try my best to explain. It took me a good amount of time because I didn't have all the parts and tools at arms reach. It took several trips into the garage and back out. The pictures were taken with my cell phone quickly so they are not great, but should give you an idea. Thanks to TACO RON for the link for this BRIGHT LED and the idea.
    His Post: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/64973-underhood-lighting-project-complete.html

YOU ARE DOING THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHING YOU SCREW UP.

You will need:
    LED flood light: http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight
    2 #4 x 3/4" Pan head screws
    Cable (to elongate the power and ground wires)
    Sodering iron or crimps (dunno what they're called) to join wires.
    Electrical tape
    1 In-Line fuse
    Electric drill (with smallm Medium & large drill bits)
    1 Universal Pin Switch http://cgi.ebay.com/Alarm-Hood-Trun...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0d2b4903

First, You will need to decide where you want to mount the LED light.
    Since I only put one LED light instead of two like TACO RON did, I put mine in the center of the hood.
    The below picture points where with the arrow. It's RIGHT in front of the weather stripping.
    LED-arrow_b2423c2a46f136fb386c85a96500cd4bff13489a.jpg

CLOSE UP:
    Hold the LED up where you want to mount it and put the small drill bit through the hole on the LED and start the drill. This will make a scuff or scratch on the paint where your screw will need to go. Take the LED off and start drilling the hole with the drill. Once you punch through, put the LED up and put one of the metal screws through the hole and screw it into the sheet metal. This will hold the LED on there and allow you to place the drill bit through the other hole on the light to scuff where the other hole needs to be drilled for the other screw. You can also see where you will want to drill the slightly larger hole in front of the LED to run the wires through and out of sight. Take the LED off & drill the other hole for the second screw as well as the hole for the wires. Now you can run the wires through the hole in front and out of sight. Once you have the wires through the hole, screw the LED onto the sheet metal.
    I made a hole where i shouldn't have:D, it's only obvious in the pic.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

* MAKE SURE the drill bit is smaller in diameter than the small screws you are using. If the hole is larger, the screws will not hold the light on.

* Make sure the drill bit is not long enough so that when you punch through, it'll go and hit the underside of the actual exterior hood sheet metal.
    BE VERY CAREFULL when you're about to punch through. Take your time.

[​IMG]

Run the wires down the hood supports and out of sight.
    RED LINE in the below picture shows where I ran my wires. Behind the bracing of course.
    LED-Cable_e8b467d242279a3602a1b14ca7eb89a920c8d4fb.jpg

There are two holes at the bottom driver side corner. Choose one to have the wires come back out and run down the hood's hinge.
    [​IMG]

Then run the wires under the pinch weld of the fender (green line shows where I ran my wires). The power wire I ran directly to the battery but you can run it to the fuse box or any wire with constant power running through it, whatever tickles your pickle.

IMPORTANT: Make sure to put an In-Line fuse at some point in the power wire. The closest to the battery, the best. The green arrow shows where mine is.
    LED-cablerun-1_eab17ea7b196e83759c2d7d365810d242500debe.jpg

Run the GROUND cable to the Universal Pin Switch. When the hood is closed, the pin disconnects the ground and thus shuts the light off. When the hood is opened, it makes the pin touch ground and thus turning the light on.
    [​IMG]

I'll update with night pictures later today but here is the finished product:
    You can't even tell the light is there.

[​IMG]

Light on!
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    izu_yo

izu_yo Active Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Nice job! Thinking about doing this in the near future so thanks for the write up!

3. May 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    No problem. It only cost me about $30 after ordering the light & the pin switch online with shipping and everything. Bought the screws at home depot. And just used wire I had lying at home. The light is VERY bright. I'll update with night pictures later.

4. May 22, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    If a Moderater could change the title to DIY LED light under hood / Engine bay, it would be greatly appreciated.

5. May 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Well Done!!

I think I know one who can do that....:p

6. May 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chris!

7. May 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    Nice job..Just ordered 2 flood led,s and will be putting these baby,s under ze hood soon :D:D:D

8. May 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I was actually thinking of putting 3 of those same lights in, so please let us know how usable it is at night. Maybe I can save a few bucks.

9. May 23, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I opened up my hood last night and i'm Very happy with how the amount of light. The single flood light lights up the entire engine bay. The camera on my phone wasn't doing the light ANY justice so I'll have to wait until I get a camera from someone else to take a night pic.

MANLAAN - 3 of these in the engine bay will be overkill, it's going to be SUPER BRIGHT. If you really want to put more than one. Just put two and do it like TACO RON did. There's a link to his thread at the top of my thread. He has one one each side of the hood. Look at the pix he posted. Two of these lights will be more than enough in my opinion.

10. May 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
  11. May 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Logically Insane

Logically Insane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    TN --- USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Access Cab
    Kobalt toolbox mounted with J-Hooks, Locks on storage compartments in bed, Window Visors, Toolbox LED Lights, Underbody Lights, More to come.
  12. May 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Nicely done. Might end up in my truck soon.:D

13. May 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I have one for my alarm. I park on a 20 degree driveway, no issues. It wouldn't drain anything in my case. My alarm sends a low voltage signal through the wires to let the brain know when the hood is not closed all the way when I arm the truck. If you are using it for an LED (like the one in this thread for example), the LED would not draw enough power to drain the battery dry, even within 48 hours.

14. May 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I read on a different thread about the LED light coming on when accelerating or on a hill with the mercury tilt switch as well. Though it will not be enough to drain the battery as you mention. I bought two of those pin switches in Ebay for under $5, and it's extremely easy to switch out. If and when it does begin to rust, i'll just put a new one in. But thanks for the recommendation VIET.

15. May 31, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
  16. Jun 1, 2010 at 2:43 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  17. Jun 1, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    I didn't. Don't believe you can put a screw through it as it has to be sealed. They can be cut to size though. Just have to dab some silicone in where it was cut to seal it.

18. Jun 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    :cool: Good to know.

19. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    tisher49

tisher49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    where did you pick up the in-line fuse and how many amps do you recommend?

20. Nov 10, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    TucsonMike

TucsonMike Blank

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG TRD Off Road
    TRD OEM lift kit bronze sema wheels
    I had the same idea but used the led strips from autozone two 12" strips from $20 and a $3 door pin.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top