Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED tailgate strip- HELP!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
09toyotacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
09toyotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
LED tailgate strip- HELP!!!

I bought a street glow optx 49" tailgate strip (red led lights that mount under the tailgate) and im having trouble wiring it. I dont have a trailer wiring harness so I am going to hard wire it like the directions say. I kind of understand what to do, but there are so many wires running to each taillight and some of them are the same color. I need to figure out which wire to attach the left turn signal to, the right turn signal, the running lights, and the ground. All the wires are wraped in the black plastic so I cant follow them. Has anyone had these issues or can anyone help me?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
CVR6 is on a distinguished road
CVR6's Tacoma Gallery
Never fished around back there yet... I recommend picking up a volt meter, they are cheap and indispensable when searching and properly wiring. Harbor freight usually has them for a few bucks.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Get a multimeter, voltmeter, or a test light.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
test light will work fine
Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
lifespan1 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AWACS ratech
Name: Roger
lifespan1's Tacoma Gallery
Mike, get yourself a wire tracer probe. Looks like a small piercing tip screw driver with a 24" wire attached to an alligator clip. There's usually a bulb or LED in the handle. With someone in the cab pressing the brake peddle, attach the alligator clip to chassis ground and pierce the individual wires by the back bumper. Whichever one lights is your brake light power source. Attach your light strip to this wire and ground the other and you should be set to go. Good luck....
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
just something ive noticed. 9 out of 10 led strips i see on trucks dont work properly, they are either half working or blinking or one side will half half power, etc...
just be carefull splicing wires if your gonna have to take this thing off sooner than you think.

Dont get me wrong, I like the looks of them but I wouldnt get one from what I've seen on their quality
Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the wire colors.

Tail Light (Running Light)
+ Green

Brake Light
+ Blue

Left Turn Signal
+ Blue/Black

Right Turn Signal
+ Blue/Yellow

...And the Black/White is your Negative (ground)

Also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Dont get me wrong, I like the looks of them but I wouldnt get one from what I've seen on their quality
X2.