Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Want Yellow foglights - dont want to pay for lamin-x - check this out!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Want Yellow foglights - dont want to pay for lamin-x - check this out!

I wanted yellow foglights, but didnt want to deal with Lamin-x. Also because I am spontaneous and have no patience waiting for things, I decided to run to Michaels (arts and craft store) and bought stained glass spray paint.

I bought this Krylon. You will notice it is orange, however if you only do like 3-4 coats it will give a nice yellow. It gets darker as you apply more coats, eventually to orange. Color accordingly.

I removed the foglights from the bumper and just sprayed them.

Here they are mounted.

Total mod time = 20 minutes.

Light output is great, however it was already yellow previously due to my DDM HID foglights (3500k)

Happy painting!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
SoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rand
SoCalR's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Can you post a pic with them on? I've got DDM yellows too and want to see how they look with the paint.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Cool tip man. I'm guessing they don't have a yellow rattle can? Anyway you could have sprayed from the inside? I haven't taken apart my foglights so I wouldn't know.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
doing this. next day off.

how do you take the fogs out?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Doing this on my Hellas...thanks man!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
doing this. next day off.

how do you take the fogs out?

Just gotta pull two screws on the underside of the bumper (fender liner) and pull it back. There are two pegs at 3oclock and 9 oclock on the backside of the foglight. Push those in, take out the bulb and unhook the adjustment knob. Real Simple
Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
Retrofit Club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Cool tip man. I'm guessing they don't have a yellow rattle can? Anyway you could have sprayed from the inside? I haven't taken apart my foglights so I wouldn't know.
You're right, they dont have a yellow can. However, this stuff takes a lot of coats to go orange, so you are good with this stuff.

The do have red, and blue though...cop light fog mod? LOL
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Used that stuff on my bed bar dust lights. They work great and haven't had any problems with it.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I suggested this a while back. I just haven't had time to do it to my own.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Retrofit Club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
I suggested this a while back. I just haven't had time to do it to my own.
Yea I remember posting in a thread about it with you in there mentioning it.

I used it for several other projects on my Hondas, so i figured why not.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
Just gotta pull two screws on the underside of the bumper (fender liner) and pull it back. There are two pegs at 3oclock and 9 oclock on the backside of the foglight. Push those in, take out the bulb and unhook the adjustment knob. Real Simple
I have yellow bulbs but this would have been cheaper. I have to replace a broken fog light, I tried this once but I got stuck, it wouldn't come out. How do you unhook the adjustment knob?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
edit: whoa never mind
Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
ok shit.

im so confused dude.... all you need to do is push those "holes" and they pop out?

i must not be doing something right.........cuz they arent moving
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
ok shit.

im so confused dude.... all you need to do is push those "holes" and they pop out?

i must not be doing something right.........cuz they arent moving
That's what I said..... the adjustment knob is holding it in,but how do you remove it?????
Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htnswches View Post
That's what I said..... the adjustment knob is holding it in,but how do you remove it?????
i know!!! i tried just unscrewing it but it aimed it up all the way
Old 06-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Retrofit Club!

The back of the adjustment clip has a small nub that protrudes through the mount. On either side of that mount are two small pop outs. You push those in, and that will release the adjuster.

Its similar to the little white clip on the headlights when you pull off the reflectors.

kinda like this:

<0>

the <> are the pieces you push in, the 0 is the nub and the underline is the mount.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder how well this will hold up over time???? If it's paint I expect it will chip or scratch... probably have to scrape it off and start over?? I've been waiting to do yellow fogs for a while but Lamin-X looks like a pain.

Also, Krylon's product page says they have Yellow but don't show an example of it.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
Retrofit Club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
Wonder how well this will hold up over time???? If it's paint I expect it will chip or scratch... probably have to scrape it off and start over?? I've been waiting to do yellow fogs for a while but Lamin-X looks like a pain.

Also, Krylon's product page says they have Yellow but don't show an example of it.

I did this on my civics years ago and it held up just fine for the few years I had it. These cars were extremely low to the ground. Center of the fog light probably sat 6" or so and never observed rock chips. Then again, I didnt offroad those cars =P.

The paint is actually almost gooey, not sure how to describe it. If you spray it on thick somewhere to test and wipe it off you will see, its almost like a gel.

Iono, but for 8 bucks a can, I can recoat the lights probably 50 times, so its not to big of a deal