Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Can the tail lights be disassembled?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Kingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Matt
Kingzeus's Tacoma Gallery
Can the tail lights be disassembled?

I want to get rid of the chrome in the tail lights of my 2010 Taco but I don't want to tint them as I get hassled by the cops enough and I don't need to give them another reason to pull me over. I want to take them apart and paint the chrome black. Is it possible or will I just destroy them?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
It's possible, but it's not easy
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Also, this will affect light output, and you would probably not be able to pass inspection if your state requires them.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
no, you have the led tail lights. leds are diodes and are damaged by heat. dont even attemp to put them in the oven. youll be sorry.... new tails from toyota are pretty expensive. also not covered under warranty if you bake them...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
no, you have the led tail lights....new tails from toyota are pretty expensive. also not covered under warranty if you bake them...
I just found my new signature.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
another way is to Dremel the housing from the lens.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
You can't open them like the headlights using the oven and DON'T take a dremel to them. I opened a set of taillights up and painted some parts on the inside but I couldn't get them to fit back perfectly. I made them work but it wasn't as nice as I hoped for.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
You can't open them like the headlights using the oven and DON'T take a dremel to them. I opened a set of taillights up and painted some parts on the inside but I couldn't get them to fit back perfectly. I made them work but it wasn't as nice as I hoped for.
Was it you that put that write up?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Kingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of lightKingzeus is a glorious beacon of light
What about using a heat gun instead of the oven cause the chrome pisses me off everytime I see it
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #13
That F'ing sucks
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
I have photos and pics of it up but someone with a xr originally did it
05XRunner did it to his wife's truck...i think
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzeus View Post
That F'ing sucks
Just Nite-Shade it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
Im working up the balls to get a candy red to just paint the stop/tail protion.