Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DDM tuning HID's -venting!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
erion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant future

Army: 1/145 AVN REG
Name: Jayson
erion109's Tacoma Gallery
DDM tuning HID's -venting!

So with several recommendations, I went with a 55W, 5000k, DDM HID Hi/Low kit. They looked great. The install wasn't bad, but you do have to remove the washer fluid bottle and battery to install the bulbs. They worked flawlessly for about two weeks and then my right side would not fire immediately. I would have to cycle the switch about 3-4 times before the light would fire. Shortly after, the right side would fire intermittenly as well. They eventually both wouldn't fire, but would cut on at random after cycling the switch multiple times. I drove on several occasions without headlights, until one would fire and then eventually two. I tried swapping bulbs, ballast, etc. It didn't matter. I spoke with Justin on several occasions, because these lights have a lifetime warranty. Justin seemed to think my ballast were bad. Well in order to get new ballast, I would have to send mine in first. This means pulling the battery and washer reservior in order to put my old bulbs in while the ballast were being inspected/replaced. With shipping to CA from Nashville, TN, this was about a 2-3 week turn around. Justin offered to do an advance replacement by charging my card $60 for two new ballast; however, there would be a $15 non-refundable admin fee (BS charge if you ask me). If they couldn't find anything wrong with the old ballast, they would return them and I would have two sets of ballast. I wanted to triple check everything, before I got burned on another set of ballast. I checked every connection at least 5 times. The lights continue to fire randomly so I decided to go with the advance replacement to avoid a lot of unneccessary bulb installation/removal. I've received the new ballast and they work great so far. I'll keep you posted on how the inspection of the old ballast go. I think the $15 admin fee is complete crap, but it's worth saving all the extra work. Whew! I feel better now that's off my chest. Please share if you've dealt with DDM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
my hids did the same shit. left one wouldnt work properly and still doesnt. it flashes once in awhile. he said to disconnect, swap the harness round to the other ballast and make sure your ground is good. this kit is garbage. im dumping them in the trash as soon as i get my retro done.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Sorry to hear. Been flawless with me.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
tdels14 is on a distinguished road
tdels14's Tacoma Gallery
just for future reference, cause im looking at getting some, what kits, or who do i need to stay away from?? what ones should i go with? thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
only small problems here, have two sets, one on my wifes car and one on mine. my wifes left light flickers when you hit hard bumps or potholes, but other than that no other problems, cant beat it for the price.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I just found out my ballasts are busted (no power). They are brand new, but I didn't have time to do the install until this past weekend (I received them about a month ago, after taking several weeks for them to come in).

I called them first thing today and left a message. They haven't responded. What is the best way to follow up with them?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get why everyone raves about them and their products. All I've heard is crappy products and even shittier customer service.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
erion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant future

Army: 1/145 AVN REG
Name: Jayson
erion109's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
I just found out my ballasts are busted (no power). They are brand new, but I didn't have time to do the install until this past weekend (I received them about a month ago, after taking several weeks for them to come in).

I called them first thing today and left a message. They haven't responded. What is the best way to follow up with them?
You can try emailing:

support@ddmtuning.com I've dealt with Brian and Justin. They both seem to want to help, but It'll cost you if you want an advance replacement. Even if the parts were junk. I totally disagree with this, but apparently it's in the fine print that hardly anyone ever reads. I think the product is good for the price, but ultimately it's made in China junk. You just have to get lucky that an eyelash didn't blindfold the guy doing the soldiering. (I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that comment).
Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I would not buy from DDM...I hear way too many horror stories about them. You may want to try sharphid.com. Prices are about the same.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Don't get why everyone raves about them and their products. All I've heard is crappy products and even shittier customer service.
It's lke the news...the bad stuff, scenarios where parts have not worked, or customer service stinks...that's what makes it on here. there really isn't a reason for people to start new threads just to say, "got my ddm kit in, works like it should".
not trying to be hard one anyone, i just think this is what happens a lot and people jsut don't realize. it does stink thought that you had to go throught that with a brand new kit OP. but hey, that's why you got the ones with a warranty

on a positive note...i have 5 sets from ddm (heads, fogs and 3 sets for off road lights) all of which have worked flawlessly since installlation months ago.

i've heard about shipping being slow, but all i did was call in to see when they had gotten new stock in, and when they did, i placed my orders then. i've ordered twice, and both times, waited less than a week to get the package (shipping to virginia from cali)
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
DDM has been nothing awesome for me. Then again, they are just down the street from me so its much easier than phone/email.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
teambcw is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
teambcw's Tacoma Gallery
If it counts I have had mine a week and love them now that I put the shield the right way.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambcw View Post
If it counts I have had mine a week and love them now that I put the shield the right way.
You had the shield on the top didnt you?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
teambcw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
You had the shield on the top didnt you?
NO!!!!!!!

ok, I did!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
Retrofit Club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambcw View Post
NO!!!!!!!

ok, I did!!!!!!

I did it too, it seems logical because you want all the upward light to be blocked, but then after it leave the bulb it reflects the other way...GRRR.

At least now I am retrofitted so that was better. LOL
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #19
teambcw's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the same exact thing when I did my install, oh well you live and you learn. Are you running the stock housing?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
1WhiteTaco has a spectacular aura about1WhiteTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Alex
1WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My ddm HIDs work perfectly..