1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Headlight Housings For Retrofit

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TKY, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    TKY

TKY [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    I'm gearing up to do a projector retrofit on my truck. My preference would be to have an additional set of housings/reflectors to use while leaving the originals in place.

It seems from reading that the eBay housings can be lacking in quality. Is there another/better option for getting these parts? I haven't checked the dealer yet, but I'm assuming that pricing from them will be ridiculous. Are there any other sources I'm missing?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    from what ive gathered ... the ebay quality is fine.. the main issue was the sealing of it, but since you are retrofititng them you can make sure the seal is good to go.

and if you get the ebay lights with clear reflector corners but want amber, let me know .. ill trade you :)

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    The Ebay ones are great for retrofits honestly...

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    TKY

TKY [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the info.

I suppose I'll be going with eBay...just need to decide if I want the black ones.

5. Aug 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    I recommend getting the black ones, kinda of a short cut since all you have to do is open them up and deal with the back side of the headlight housing. I've done about 10-12 sets and there are some little tricks and tips that I have learned along the way. I can guide through your retro fit and can give a parts list and can also help you save money. :D

The eBay lights are fine, you can get them for about $125 shipped. I can also tell you of an eBay vendor in Cali that I buy the lights from, never had any problems.

6. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
  7. Sep 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    TKY

TKY [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
  8. Sep 1, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Be sure to check out my retrofit group buy thread to get in on a deal on projectors

9. Sep 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    im pretty sure quality is just as good as OEM.... and since your gonna do a retrofit on them, you can just ensure that sealing them is to your liking.. that way you dont have to worry about leaks/fogging issues...

aside from that, good luck. and if you get the headlight+fog combo and do not want your clear reflectors, hit me up :)

10. Sep 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    babyboi2284

babyboi2284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lockport, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Barcelona Red X-Runner
    LS 6k projectors w/ white halos, 6k fogs, T-Rex Angry Lids, NST SSK, Coupe Shift Knob, BHLM, LFM, DLM, FLM, JL 500/1 amp, JL 10"w6v2, subX wanna be made by me, Magnaflow muffler, 5% tint, k&n drop in filter, Craven Speed Stubby, map light mod
    www.rockauto.com and search for your vehicle info. The headlights are about $47 each I think.

Products Discussed in

To Top