1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Even brighter Rear turn signals

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by arvizu9618, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    arvizu9618

arvizu9618 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RT
    PHX AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 D-Cab SPORT SB
    Map/Dome Light on same time, Beep onLock, Anytime DTRL's, Fog Light on any time, Cockpit lights in footwells, night light in cup holder and rear of console, Radio ON w/ ignition off (off with timer), 3157 socket for rear turn signals (BRIGHTER), Reverse Light Mod, Tap light in console and engine bay, removed screen prior to MAP sensor, Blacked out lower valance, badges, center caps and door handles, Added door sill plates, JVC-KDHDR50 Head unit (HD Baby), Tinted exterior lights, Borla Exhaust.
    Our 2nd Gen's require a 3157A bulb in the rear but its only wired to use half of the bulb.

IOW, the rear didn't come with a 3157 socket.

I'm going to install a 3157 socket to both rear turns sigs to use all of the bulb.

Should be ALOT brighter.

Heat generated shouldn't be a concern since turns aren't on that long.

Using them as emergency lights is another potential issue.

Opinions/Concerns?

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 1:07 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Should be an interesting mod that I haven't seen attempted. Good luck. Worse case scenario is if you mess them up you can always get the l.e.d. version.
    Sub'd.

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    arvizu9618

arvizu9618 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RT
    PHX AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 D-Cab SPORT SB
    Map/Dome Light on same time, Beep onLock, Anytime DTRL's, Fog Light on any time, Cockpit lights in footwells, night light in cup holder and rear of console, Radio ON w/ ignition off (off with timer), 3157 socket for rear turn signals (BRIGHTER), Reverse Light Mod, Tap light in console and engine bay, removed screen prior to MAP sensor, Blacked out lower valance, badges, center caps and door handles, Added door sill plates, JVC-KDHDR50 Head unit (HD Baby), Tinted exterior lights, Borla Exhaust.
    OK, I tackled this project this morning.

Took about 20 min.

1. Take off Rear Taillights
    2. Take out Amber Turn Bulbs
    3. Short each side of the bulb with aluminum foil, see pic
    4. Reinstall bulbs and Assy's, Test, enjoy

Not a huge difference in broad daylight but I can definitely see both filaments lighting up.

Saved about $13 by not replacing sockets.

Can't wait to see it at night.

08262011154[1].jpg

4. Aug 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Here is an opinion: I think our stock signals are way too bright at night. I can't stand getting stuck at a stop light behind a Tacoma with it's blinker on at night. Ditto for all the late model cars with led tails or brake lights. If you care about the guy stuck behind you at a light, you will wire those up in such a way that the extra filament only comes on if the parking lights are off.

Products Discussed in

To Top