1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

instruments gauges lights out 03model

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by oktaco24, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sep 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    oktaco24

oktaco24 [OP] Member

Member:
    running out of ideas , all fuses ok, mechanic seems to think mabee the dash light dimmer switch. anyway to bypass dimmer or any ideas i can check before i shell out the bucks on the mechanic ?

2. Sep 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    easy to replace the dimmer switch just pull the front dash i could change it in 30 minutes or so, another thing sometimes the way the bulbs are put in they can work loose although not likely for all to do it at the same time. You could probably use a jumper with and unplug the dimmer and jump the 2 pins if i remember correctly

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    oktaco24

oktaco24 [OP] Member

Member:
    pulled dimmer and jumpered the 2 wires with no success. i think i am forced to pull the dash and trace voltage. i was able to download a wiring diagram and it says green w/ red stripe is hot. comes from the tail light circuit from the fuse box . was going to see if i have voltage at the gauge cluster first. wouldnt the circuit have to go thru the headlight lever on the steer column first ?

4. Sep 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    i believe so cause when running lights are on the cluster is on

5. Sep 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    oktaco24

oktaco24 [OP] Member

Member:
    just when u think that both dash gauge lights and two of the climate controll lights couldnt all be burnt out ? they where . of course that was after i checked all fuses, checked dimmer switch, and chased voltage. about a 2 hour job pulling the gauge cluster out and center radio,climate controll area out. the little lights that go in the climate contoll area? $14 a piece. bend me over. take your time pulling the dash so u dont break anything and look for hidden screws like behind the a/c knobs. the face plate comes off and 2 screws behind it. other screws are pretty noticable. to replace the bulbs on the climate control u will need to break it apart and remove bulbs from the inside. dont try to pull them out from the front. common sense and u can do it.

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    Joe02TRD

Joe02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I just bought my 02 Tacoma on Saturday and am experiencing the same issue with no cluster lights on when parking/headlights are turned on. My hvac control lights work and dim with the switch. All the other dash warning lights work but the gauges themselves don't light up at night. Ive checked the fuses too and they're all good. I pulled the gauges out today and switched what I believe where 194 bulbs that had orange covers with new ones and still no lights! Don't know what else to check...?

7. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    Joe02TRD

Joe02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    you stated "both" cluster lights but if I was checking the correct ones...there were 4.

Products Discussed in

To Top